How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Ordering material and shipping costs?  (Read 6994 times)

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
Ordering material and shipping costs?
« on: January 14, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »
I was going to order some tubing and spar cap material from Aircraft Spruce until I saw the freight charges. The order was around $500.00 and the freight was $170.00. I wanted some of the tubing to be 14 feet long and the spar cap material 13 feet long. This was going to be shipped truck line. The tubing needs to be at least 12 feet long.  Any suggestions on the best way to order and suggested lengths. Thanks!
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Ordering material and shipping costs?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »
I was going to order some tubing and spar cap material from Aircraft Spruce until I saw the freight charges. The order was around $500.00 and the freight was $170.00. I wanted some of the tubing to be 14 feet long and the spar cap material 13 feet long. This was going to be shipped truck line. The tubing needs to be at least 12 feet long.  Any suggestions on the best way to order and suggested lengths. Thanks!
Jim, I think this is a case where you just have to grit your teeth and get the stuff shipped. I suggest you order as much material as possible in that truck shipment. It won't cost hardly any extra to have a whole plane load of material in the bundle vs just a few long pieces.

Just the cost of doing business as an aircraft manufacturer.  :o

Offline rfeenstra

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:11:21 PM »
Your in driving distance of Wicks in Highland, IL.  I'd figure out what plywood, spar material, steel, rib material and whatever else you could wish for  and pick it up.  It may be a bigger outlay initially, but you'd save in the long run.  Sometimes their prices are a bit higher but I'd hate to count up all of the $10 - $15 shipping costs I've paid for a few nuts and bolts and whatever else I needed in the short term. I've also been successful dickering with them when their price was quite a bit higher than ACS.  Plus, when I put in a big order for all of my spruce and steel, they gave me, as I recall, a 10% discount.  A very accurate materials list would be most helpful!  If you can talk to Scott Wicks himself, tell him the "organ man" from Michigan sent you!.

Rob

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 07:20:15 PM »
Thanks guys. I think shipping costs would still be cheaper than driving though. I did price wicks but they were quite a bit higher on most everything.

Offline rfeenstra

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:34:57 PM »
You're probably right, though not as much fun as picking your stuff up, seeing their operation, and browsing through all of the accessories that every pilot really needs!  I ordered all of the steel and spruce full length.  I picked up when i was passing through St. Louis with my van.  I had spars and steel hanging out through the rear window in a snowstorm.  while I was there, i saw a used sheet metal brake sitting in a pile of stuff.  Wound up buying that as well!  I'm in the church organ business and Wicks used to be competition so I had a good time jawing with Scott about the old organ days.

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:47:23 PM »
I didn't realize Wicks was just east of St Louis. That might be a good option after all.

Offline rfeenstra

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:57:13 PM »
It didn't look like you were that far away.  Git r done in a day. Nice road trip.  Twist their arm a little to help with the price.  Like I say, I think they gave me 10% for a fairly large order of steel and spruce.  I had them cut the spar caps to my specs (didn't have them cut the tapered part though) - figured they had a better saw than I have.  I was very pleased with the quality of the spruce.  Better than the rib cap strips I got from ACS.  All of the steel except the 3/4 was German or American.  Wasn't real excited about the Chinese 3/4 though. Ask to see if they can supply American 3/4''.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 06:18:56 AM »
I'd hate to count up all of the $10 - $15 shipping costs I've paid for a few nuts and bolts and whatever else I needed in the short term.
I don't know about Wicks but Aircraft Spruce will ship USPS Priority mail if requested. Many times I have ordered nuts, bolts, etc from ACS's Griffin, GA warehouse and gotten them in a couple of days for less than $2 mailing fee. I always use ACS online order system and verify that the items I want are in stock in GA for quicker shipping.

But I really like my ACS Pilot VISA card which gives me free shipping on most smaller items plus a 2% discount on all items.

Offline rfeenstra

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 06:40:11 AM »
Wow, I've never seen that low of a shipping fee.  I even bitched at them once about the shipping costs.  They did give me a slight rebate.  Maybe Michigan is an expensive place to ship to.  I have a FedEx account and figured out what actual shipping costs should have been.  I think they add a handling fee.

Offline grdev

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 06:42:16 AM »
Wicks is about a 2.5 hour drive for me. Talk to them about other bids you have for material, you may be pleasantly surprised, I know I was.

Just how accurate is our material list for the XL, that is the information I gave Wicks. I had planned to pick up my steel 1/22 weather 8) permitting. Guess I should go down to the shop and measure everything and check it against the list in the plans.

Offline Kevin N.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »
I live  a 3 hour one way drive to Wicks and I still go there to pick up big orders. I would rather haul my own long stuff over having some truck line damage it. I had that happen in the past with a large order from Aircraft Spruce. I always bring along extra cash for those impulse buys. I've never asked for a large order discount nor have they offered one. I will next time.
XL

Offline grdev

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 04:05:50 PM »
I just asked why they were more than the other suppliers. I told them I would rather use them as they were within driving distance for me. They sharpen their pencil for me, I was happy with my quote. All the tubing on the material list was around 400.00, bad thing, if you pick up you have to pay sales tax.

I asked them today if I ordered my plywood from them would they rip it to the proper width for my spars and they said no problem. I have two table saws in Wisconsin and none here in Missouri. I would hate to have to buy another saw???  ,already bought another oxy/acetylene  setup.  Thank god for the classifieds.

I'm in SW MO by Rolla Where are you located

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 05:15:09 PM »
While we're on the subject of material, I can't find a specific type of plywood listed on the plans or forum files. aircraft Spruce has mahagony, basswood, and birch in 1/8 thickness and 4X8 sheets. I would think mahagony would be too soft but no idea about the others. This will be used for the spars. Any suggestions?

Offline rfeenstra

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »
I asked them today if I ordered my plywood from them would they rip it to the proper width for my spars and they said no problem.
Be aware that you should build your spars to match your ribs. That width can vary a bit, so be careful in specifying a cut width until you know exactly what it has to be.

Offline grdev

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 03:31:52 AM »
For you guys up North, you can check with WagAero Lyons, Wisconsin, about 60 miles from Madison or Milwaukee. for stika check out McCormic Lumber.com,  Madison, WI 608 222 4638
Both companies great to deal with.:)

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal