How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: turnbuckles  (Read 6947 times)

Offline XL-C-100

turnbuckles
« on: January 20, 2014, 11:21:49 AM »
Can anyone tell me what type of ends I need for the turnbuckles on the XL? The material list only tells me only that they need to be 10/32.

Offline Bob S.

Re: turnbuckles
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 12:44:53 PM »
I used a total of 5 turnbuckles on my Legal Eagle...4 of which used cable-eye x pin-eye (AN135) and the one for the aileron cable cross-over used cable-eye x cable-eye (AN140). I used none on my rudder cables. I put bolts thru the pin-eyes on my elevator horn and at the aileron control horn. However, I see no reason you cannot use all cable-eye ends on your turnbuckles actually (AN140)... if that's all you can get...
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline leshoman

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:36:44 PM »
I used a total of two. One on ailerons and one on elevator
Les Homan

Offline Bob S.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »
Les, then you only use the TB to tighten or loosen the cables and are unable to re-set center??
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:46:17 PM »
Only one turnbuckle (ailerons) on XL-58. The cables were carefully fabricated with control surfaces centered and the aileron pushrods are adjustable for fine tuning. The turnbuckle is primarily for adjusting cable tension.

The elevator pushrod eliminates the need for those turnbuckles.

Offline XL-C-100

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »
Thanks that answers my question....sort of. Sounds like there are a few options, I think I'll wait until I have everything built and in front of me, then order up what I need.

Offline Rich Snyder

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 07:01:05 PM »
Hi guys-
A little help with buying my materials please. I just got off the phone with a lady at AS&S regarding some questions she had that I could not answer. First; I plan on using galvanized cable. Is it 7x7 or 7x19 construction.
Are the thimbles Cadmium plated or stainless?
Are the cable (nicopress) sleeves all copper or copper / zinc?
Finally; the "steel pop rivets" called for in the materials list are stainless as per Leonard's description. There are LOTS of different kinds. What kind should I ask for; Cherry? Is there a kind of head I should ask for? Thanks a lot for the help. Rich

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »
Hi guys-
A little help with buying my materials please. I just got off the phone with a lady at AS&S regarding some questions she had that I could not answer. First; I plan on using galvanized cable. Is it 7x7 or 7x19 construction.
Are the thimbles Cadmium plated or stainless?
Are the cable (nicopress) sleeves all copper or copper / zinc?
Finally; the "steel pop rivets" called for in the materials list are stainless as per Leonard's description. There are LOTS of different kinds. What kind should I ask for; Cherry? Is there a kind of head I should ask for? Thanks a lot for the help. Rich
7x19 cable is easier to work with, more flexible, but 7x7 is fine if that is easier to source. The cables on XL-58 were purchased in the aviation dept of the local Lowes big box store. The flight loads on the XL controls are very low.

I use cad-plated steel thimbles because they cost 1/2 of stainless. Either one will outlast all of us.....

I use zinc plated sleeves but either will work fine.

The steel rivets in XL-58 were purchased in the same aviation dept as the cable.

However....do not scrimp on bolts and nuts......AN fasteners are the only safe option. And be sure your nicopress sleeves are installed per aviation specs. You can get the go-no go gauges at Aircraft Spruce:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/gonogo.php

By the way, these cable cutters have worked like a charm in my shop for twenty years:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/sfcutters.php?clickkey=106388

And here is a neat little swaging tool that will yield aircraft quality nicopress connections:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/swagingtool.php

Offline Rich Snyder

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
Sam- Thank you for your unending support of the group and we first time builders. It really is a big deal to someone who has no or little previous experience. Excellent and useful info as always. Rich

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
Sam- Thank you for your unending support of the group and we first time builders. It really is a big deal to someone who has no or little previous experience. Excellent and useful info as always. Rich
Glad you found that useful, Rich.

Regarding the cables, you can never go wrong using "aircraft grade cable", and that will be your best option if not comfortable with the yield strength of commonly available cable. I enjoy saving coin when it is reasonable to do so but we can't compromise safety.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal