How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Clarification on using Latex paint on eagles...  (Read 16424 times)

Gabe

Clarification on using Latex paint on eagles...
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:11:53 PM »
I just finished covering my tail feathers. ;D I was planning on using exterior latex house paint on them, but I've already filled in the weave with Polybrush. (I used it to glue down the tapes and went ahead and did it all) Can anyone clarify the whole Latex paint issue for me?
  1. Do I HAVE to use the silver polyspray now that i've filled with weave with polybrush?
  2. Can I put the exterior latex primer right over the polybrush?

Offline grdev

Re: Clarification on using Latex paint on eagles...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 05:31:04 AM »
On my DE I used gray latex with 1/2 cup of aluminum powder in a 1/2 gallons That was enough paint to do everything with two coats using a 3" foam brush with each coat 90 degrees to each other. I finished it with a coat of high gloss latex enamel using a 6" foam roller. Paint held up fine for over three years now. I plan to just use gray  latex primer on with some aluminum powder mixed in. If you want a shiny show room type of paint job, I would not recommend Latex.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »
I just finished covering my tail feathers. ;D I was planning on using exterior latex house paint on them, but I've already filled in the weave with Polybrush. (I used it to glue down the tapes and went ahead and did it all) Can anyone clarify the whole Latex paint issue for me?
  1. Do I HAVE to use the silver polyspray now that i've filled with weave with polybrush?
  2. Can I put the exterior latex primer right over the polybrush?
I have applied high-quality latex exterior primer over Polybrush and Polyspray and had excellent results in each case. The primer seems to stick aggressively to about anything.

Gabe

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:49:25 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and try the latex. Any ideas on where to get some aluminum powder?
By the way Sam, after I posted this question I got to looking at your LE build site and found some really good links to sites where people have tested the UV protection and durability of latex. So thanks for posting those.

Offline grdev

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
At my place in WI I have some I would give you, but I won't be returning there until May. I bought mine off eBay, not very expensive. Just be careful with the stuff, explosive and dangerous to inhale in the powder form. Once it is in the paint, no problem.

Offline rfeenstra

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
I bought some from Amazon.  Also available on Ebay. 1 or 2 lb quantities (or more) are available. I mixed it with Glidden Gripper and it really improved the opacity of the primer.  Didn't use it for UV protection.

Rob

Offline weasel

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »
is there a way to coat over the latex primer with a higher gloss paint or are you stuck with Latex?

I was considering a future project using latex up to the last coat and then using something like urethane for the last shinny coat.   Any way that would work?
LE - 92mmx78mm 1/2 VW 
Fisher Classic - Cassler 94mmx86mm Full VW
RV-10 - Lycoming IO-540
http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »
is there a way to coat over the latex primer with a higher gloss paint or are you stuck with Latex?

I was considering a future project using latex up to the last coat and then using something like urethane for the last shinny coat.   Any way that would work?
Weasel, on my first plane (Fisher Super Koala) I primed the fabric with flat black latex and finished it with automotive polyurethane. It turned out pretty good but I would stay with all latex now. Latex can be color sanded and buffed for a mirror finish.

That was twenty years ago, it has been proven since then that a titanium oxide-based white latex primer has the best UV protection.

Offline weasel

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »
Thanks Sam,

I think that is how my Fisher Classic is.  I will check with Dad. he built it may moons ago.

The paint is starting to crack in places. I know he said he put flex agent in it but it was 20 years ago. Still looks good but just some cracks here and there.
LE - 92mmx78mm 1/2 VW 
RV-10 - Lycoming IO-540

Offline Bob S.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 01:39:37 PM »
Sam, How do you "color sand" a latex paintjob??
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline weasel

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 01:52:26 PM »
I am assuming he is talking about this. http://home.comcast.net/~mmorrison123/Latex.htm
Sam may have more information.

LE - 92mmx78mm 1/2 VW 
RV-10 - Lycoming IO-540

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 04:08:38 PM »
I am assuming he is talking about this. http://home.comcast.net/~mmorrison123/Latex.htm
Sam may have more information.

Yes, that is the link. You would need to spray the latex top coats but cutting and buffing would be the same process as used on polyurethanes.

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.1 Safari 7.1
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »
Is it necessary to use a polybrush as a first coat or could the first coat be latex?

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »
I used latex gray primer with some aluminum powder mixed in o my DE with no bad effects.

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.1 Safari 7.1
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 12:25:10 PM »
How much aluminum powder per pint/quart/gallon?  Brushed on or sprayed on?  Thinned with windshield washer fluid at 59%?

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal