How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: LEU & LE XL Bent or Damaged Landing Gear Pictures and Informaton send my way.  (Read 28156 times)

Offline Sam Buchanan

I certainly don't want to imply that anyone flying with cycle wheels will have problems with them. But keep in mind the XL is designed for a gross weight of 575 lbs, considerably higher than the LE. Side loading increases significantly with higher flying weight, probably one reason Leonard designed the XL with the smaller Black Max system.

Offline rockiedog2

They're really good...my only interest is that we not give the bike wheels a bad rap for sideloading or anything else cause there are some here who won't be able to afford the Black Max setup and will be afraid of the bike wheels cause they read here that they have problems. Not so. Like Sam says the higher the gross weight the more likely the side loading is to become a concern. Kiblinger had flown his LEU at somewhere up around 550 I think with no probs and then Deboer's experience with that 2 place thing. Well, we got all the right info here to make a decision with...yall pick what you want and can afford.
Out to the shop, building a door for this new thing
Spencer
Hoping for an early spring

Offline Sparrow

• Sparrow
  • 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Eagle Type: LE XL # D-21
Like I said, I like the bike tire setup.  There is nothing wrong with that choice.  It comes down to preference and if one wants to spring for extra $$$$$. 
I also see that a given side load on a breaker bar at 11” out produces far more torque than the same load on a bar 6” out.  In the end it truly isn’t an issue either way.  Like Joe said, there is more drag on the two small fat boys hanging out there. 
I just want to fly and I want to build a vehicle that is as simple and trouble free as possible.  When I weigh an issue I use a thought process known as "failure mode and effect analysis".  How can it fail?  What are the results of the failure?  Is someone going to get hurt?  What can be done to limit or eliminate that particular failure mode?
We all do this in the background when we look at any issue because the smart ones are survivors and that is why we are still here after over 60 years.

On a personal note, if you don’t mind, Joe, you mentioned the VA.  I am 100% from Vietnam in 69 and 70 in Mekong delta.  I am assuming you spent some time there.  I hope to get this craft built and fly around some day and meet all the great personalities I see on this site.  You can directly email me if you want to talk at 11leake11@gmail.com.

Back on topic, I might still go with the bike wheels.  Still a toss up for me.  I like to keep the $$$ if possible.

The increased bending moment really comes into play once the spring pack bottoms out.  That bending moment will almost always bend the upper front tube.  The lower bending moment is most likely the reason I am hearing about guys that are flying around without spring packs and using the Black-Max system and bouncing into places they shouldn’t be and not bending the supporting legs.  Something one likes to consider.

Thanks for all the direct thoughts and don’t pull the punches.  I have been married for over 41 years so I can take criticism.   Sparrow
John Leake
1409 Briarwood Dr.
Blacksburg, VA, USA
11leake11@gmail.com
Plans arrived Dec. 2013
LE XL-D-21

Offline Sam Buchanan

there is more drag on the two small fat boys hanging out there.
I wonder if that is actually the case. If the cross section of cycle tires and Black Max tiers is compared they may be very close. But the aerodynamics of the larger cycle wheel diameter with all the spokes and stuff make it hard to actually compare the two systems. Most likely differences in drag at Eagle speed is very small....and I don't know which system would have less.

Offline rockiedog2

i dunno for sure either. i ran 600x6 lawn mower wheels and tires on mine for a while at first then swapped those out for the bike ones. there was a noticeable diff in climb rate and i assumed it was a combination of less weight/drag. no way to really tell how much of which. the lawn mower wheels weighed 17.5#. pretty heavy. one thing that was really noticeable was the diff in rolling resistance. i didnt have brakes on it at the time and had to put some on it quick like as the thing with the bike wheels would just roll and roll even here on the grass. noticeably shorter takeoffs but longer landing rolls.
Sparrow what did i say about the VA? dont remember...
yeah i did some time over there. mostly Cambodia

Offline liteflyt

Wheel Drag,can be improved on those spoke wheels like they did on the WW1 Spad, cover the spokes with Dacron .
Stick it out your car window and see if you can hang on to it better with or without the covers.
Rodger

Offline Sam Buchanan

Wheel Drag,can be improved on those spoke wheels like they did on the WW1 Spad, cover the spokes with Dacron .
Stick it out your car window and see if you can hang on to it better with or without the covers.
Rodger
Let that wheel with the dacron covers get a little crosswise to the wind and you will have time to ponder drag coefficients while recovering from rotator cuff surgery........  :o

Offline Sparrow

• Sparrow
  • 2015 Donor
  • Building
Hi Joe,

You said something about having to visit the VA is all I remember.  Yep, I was in Cambodia when the president announced we had troops over there.  We just looked at each other and said,"yea, like we been here for a month now."

I loved riding the Huey and hanging out the door with one foot on the skid when he was flying below the tree line at about 100mph.  A thrill I will never forget.  Different time and place.

I just finished copying all the pictures that were on the Yahoo site.  My bottom is sore from sitting here doing that.

I would like to start another discussion regarding varnish and sanding wood.  I didn't find the answers on the Yahoo site so I want to ask here  Where should I start that thread at?  Please give me an opinion as to where it would be appropriate. 

This thread has been a real boon for information.  Now all I have to do is chew on it all for a time.

It does make sense the bike wheel rolling easier.  I was interested in the 10" wheel that was shown over on the Yahoo site.  That runs the 3" x 10 tire and looks useful.  Anyone have any experience using that?   Shown as Mike's Wheels - Spreagles.  Link is https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EaglersNests/photos/albums/1646583768

John
John Leake
1409 Briarwood Dr.
Blacksburg, VA, USA
11leake11@gmail.com
Plans arrived Dec. 2013
LE XL-D-21

Offline rockiedog2

i found some really nice wheel covers on ebay. they fit the 20" bike wheels...made outa thin plastic. i figured they cut the drag down so put em on. painted em all up with swirls on one side of the plane and i think it was a star or something on the other wheel. looked like a pimp mobile. never did like those so took off on one of the weight reduction campaigns. they probably still on ebay for anybody wanting to get fancy. cost 27$ at the time.
Sparrow google Rustic Facs. thats what i did in cambodia. OV10 Bronco. Rustic 06. Been bored ever since...
 i reckon the varnish thread oughta go in Off Topic and General Interest

Offline Sparrow

• Sparrow
  • 2015 Donor
  • Building
Hi Joe,

A little off topic but it is about the air craft of yester year.  Were you involved with the Black Pony?  They pulled my rear out of deep trouble many times.  I was USN PBR Black Berets.  The pilots in the Black Pony had a separate seat just for their two you know what’s.  To do what they did and at night is truly amazing.  My hat is off to all the flyers that supported us in our ops.  Sea Wolf, Cobras, Black Pony, Snoopy and Loaches (we called them Bumble Bees) all came to our aid and the UH-11 was always there to dust us off when needed. Well, enough of that.  You are right, the greatest boredom was after all of that.  You get used to the adrenalin high and then you find the Legal Eagle and find it coming back to you again.  Yea!!!

I will start a new thread in the suggested place Joe.  Thank you. John
John Leake
1409 Briarwood Dr.
Blacksburg, VA, USA
11leake11@gmail.com
Plans arrived Dec. 2013
LE XL-D-21

Offline rockiedog2

i found some really nice wheel covers on ebay. they fit the 20" bike wheels...made outa thin plastic. i figured they cut the drag down so put em on. painted em all up with swirls on one side of the plane and i think it was a star or something on the other wheel. looked like a pimp mobile.

Offline rockiedog2

Hi Joe,

A little off topic but it is about the air craft of yester year.  Were you involved with the Black Pony? 
John I PMed you Joe

Offline Sparrow

• Sparrow
  • 2015 Donor
  • Building
I like the paint job on the wheel cover.  It is pimped out.  Could make ones eyes cross if watching it when you are rolling.

John
John Leake
1409 Briarwood Dr.
Blacksburg, VA, USA
11leake11@gmail.com
Plans arrived Dec. 2013
LE XL-D-21

Offline Sparrow

• Sparrow
  • 2015 Donor
  • Building
Hi Joe,

What is PMed?

John
John Leake
1409 Briarwood Dr.
Blacksburg, VA, USA
11leake11@gmail.com
Plans arrived Dec. 2013
LE XL-D-21

Offline Sparrow

• Sparrow
  • 2015 Donor
  • Building
Duhhhhh!!!

Personal Message.  Got it Joe.
John Leake
1409 Briarwood Dr.
Blacksburg, VA, USA
11leake11@gmail.com
Plans arrived Dec. 2013
LE XL-D-21

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal