How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Turned a page...  (Read 4177 times)

Offline rockiedog2

Turned a page...
« on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
A while back when reassembling PuttPutt after the tow home from Reklaw I couldn't help but reminisce a little...
In Feb 03 I flew 143 for the first time a little earlier than normally would have so dad JB could see it fly(he was a B17 pilot and POW back in the Big One...one of those we all owe so much to). He was ailing and I knew it wouldn't be long. It was just a short flight about 8 feet above the strip but it flew and he saw it. He left us 2 weeks later. Glad I pushed a little and got it airborne even tho it wasn't really ready. Max Juchheim, P47 Double Ace was there too, and still talks about it at coffee. He's 91.
I had somewhat gotten to know the Eagler higherups during the build...Leonard, Kiblinger and Bolding...and had immediately come to like them and the LEU design. It looked to me like this was gonna go somewhere. I decided to pitch in and do what I could to help get the Eagle movement off the ground. So I got 143 debugged; built a trailer and hauled it to OSH and flew it all week at AV 2005. It got lotsa attention as did Leonard's LEU and later in 2007 I think it was the DE and PuttPutt both were well received. Somewhere in there Johnson showed up with the Slug and it was a real hit what with all his craftsmanship and attention to detail. He got a big trophy and created even more interest. I hauled 143 to AV 4 times and flew it every opportunity morning and evening and folks really liked to watch  it and The Slug. Leonard sold a buncha plans. And we started going to Reklaw down in Texas I think it was 3 or 4 times there and that went over big with that local market  where Leonard lives. He's a legend down there; they're all proud he's a Texan. We all had a good time with those flyins and all made good friends and memories; it was FUN...and the Eagle movement grew and grew to the point that now it's self sustaining. It's just gonna get bigger and bigger and rightly so these are truly special designs. Old School homebuilding on a budget like in the old days of the EAA. Minimalist taken to an art form. Thanks for all this Boss...you're right up there with Curtis Pitts just in a different arena.
Well, those were the kinda thoughts going thru my mind as I reassembled ol PuttPutt for the last time after a flyin haul...we're retired from that now. It was a lotta work but well worth it and I'm so glad we did it...even tho it was something of a relief. That relaxed and satisfied feeling that is so elusive in our world today.
We've turned a page...
Thanks again Boss
Joe Spencer and PuttPutt

Guys try to get all the others from the old list over here with us and donate whatever you feel like you can when you can we've gotta get this new site populated and up to optimum speed. And somebody else needs to take up the haul and flyin duties its fun. Thanks all

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Scott - aka Slug Musher
  • Eagle Type: Standard L/E
Re: Turned a page...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:32:36 PM »
Joe,

Your page may have been turned but the book remains open. At least I hope. Never close a book that ain't finished. Don't want to get all corny her but you have been a big inspiration to me but and I'd never admit it. Oops I did it any way.. You've keep good company with the likes of Kiblinger, Bolding and Danny B. Awesome Group of folks.............. and Talent.....
You gotta come up next year even if it's in that Green monstrosity of yours. Better yet your " New Thing". You Can't miss the Boss's big 90th. Hell he even rented the back room of the Delta... Just for you. Hehe.

Seeee Yaaa   for AV 2014  

and don't be late !!

Scott
The Slug Musher

Offline Poorman2

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 04:45:42 AM »
Joe, I just want to say thank you for the support you have given us eaglers over the years. It was a pleasure to be able to come visit you and share a cup of coffee with you. You have shown us as well as others on the list, what the eagle is capable of and I can't waite to get mine finnished. I also wanted to fly mine before my dad passed, but it was not ment to be. He passed last october at the age of 86. He was in the Merchant Marines during ww II. He wanted to go in the air force, but they said he was too tall. We built many RC models together. He gave me the love of flying. I really miss him.

Offline Dan_

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
A while back when reassembling PuttPutt after the tow home from Reklaw I couldn't help but reminisce a little...
In Feb 03 I flew 143 for the first time a little earlier than normally would have so dad JB could see it fly(he was a B17 pilot and POW back in the Big One...one of those we all owe so much to). He was ailing and I knew it wouldn't be long. It was just a short flight about 8 feet above the strip but it flew and he saw it. He left us 2 weeks later. Glad I pushed a little and got it airborne even tho it wasn't really ready. Max Juchheim, P47 Double Ace was there too, and still talks about it at coffee. He's 91.
Joe,
When did you take this pic with some guy sitting on your plane and petting your dogs..?  Is that Rockie as a pup?

We all owe so much to the guys in the big one, but we owe you guys that flew the heavy iron in Vietnam too.  Thanks for that, and showing us all how to do the L.E. right and light...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline weasel

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »
Joe,
When did you take this pic with some guy sitting on your plane and petting your dogs..?  Is that Rockie as a pup?

Har har.  thas funny rite there.
LE - 92mmx78mm 1/2 VW 
Fisher Classic - Cassler 94mmx86mm Full VW
RV-10 - Lycoming IO-540
http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal