How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Jim's XL build D-25  (Read 68995 times)

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
Re: Jim's XL build D-15
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 04:43:16 PM »
Thanks Gil. I do OK if I just go slow and don't worry about how much time it takes to fit each joint. Tomorrow I will cut the angles on the top of the rear cabanes and fit the upper cabane tubes. Then I can tack all of these tubes together.
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline Bob S.

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »
Question....
I figure you probably already stated where you got that laser, but can you please refresh my memory?
Where?
Name?
How much??

Thanks,
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline Bob S.

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2014, 05:07:37 PM »
Check that.... I found it on reply #15....
Never mind, Sorry

Thanks,
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2014, 05:25:50 PM »
I've had mine a couple if years and there may be something even better now but this is what I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-Self-leveling-Plumb-Cross-Laser/dp/B002UROXFE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392599973&sr=8-4&keywords=ryobi+laser+level
It shoots a vertical, horizontal line and a plumb dot straight down and also straight up to the ceiling. It is also self leveling which makes it easy to set up. I lined up the plumb dot on the blue line on the table and then aligned the vertical line down the blue chalk line. The horizontal line was adjusted to the center of the top longeron. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »
Finished the rear cabanes today. Everything behind station 3 is tacked now and still square and plumb.

Offline Poorman2

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 02:21:25 AM »
She's looking good Jim. :)

Offline grdev

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 06:12:07 AM »
Looks good, most likely be done by Friday!

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 07:49:31 AM »
I wish!! but thanks for your support! :)

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »
Confused! I am trying to understand how the wing brackets fit on the top longeron. There is a flat plate that looks to be welded to the upper cabanes and to the square tube wing mount bracket. That would seem to make the dimension between the cabanes and the wing spars a close tolerance item. The plans are pretty vague in this area. Can someone describe how this works. I started to weld the front cabanes but then got to worrying about the 29 inch dimension between the cabanes and would the wing brackets end up in the right place.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »
Confused! I am trying to understand how the wing brackets fit on the top longeron. There is a flat plate that looks to be welded to the upper cabanes and to the square tube wing mount bracket. That would seem to make the dimension between the cabanes and the wing spars a close tolerance item. The plans are pretty vague in this area. Can someone describe how this works. I started to weld the front cabanes but then got to worrying about the 29 inch dimension between the cabanes and would the wing brackets end up in the right place.
DO NOT ATTACH THESE FITTINGS UNTIL YOU HAVE BUILT A RIB!
The best way to assure the wings will fit on your fuse is to build the attachments "to fit" using a rib as the template:

You can get an approximate idea of the placement of the attach fittings from this photo:

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 05:18:35 PM »
I looked at your setup before which makes sense. The problem I have understanding is how the .060 plate fits flat against the cabanes and still holds the spar dimension. I am assuming there is a plate that welds to the front cabane and rear cabane and to the wing brackets. Does the flat plate weld in the middle of the 1/2 inch square tube or do you just weld it to the bottom of the wing bracket wherever it lines up with the spars.  I am probably not describing this very well but without drawing a picture it's the best I can do.

Offline grdev

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 06:26:54 PM »
Did you built your top bar with the 1" drop per plans or did you make it level? The drawings have 2 degree of incidence built in, if you make the bar level, then you will have to build in the incidence into your wing brackets. Back when the wings attached to a single tube in the center I built  a similar attachment for my wings much like the one in common use today. The reason I change my DE was I thought this is going to be pretty difficult for one person install two wings at a time when you must align  two sets of brackets for one bolt! anyway  I think some thought can be put to use here. I would not weld on the rear bracket until I'm positive where centers will be. You wont really know that until you build a rib. After I found out today I don't have the stock called for in the drawings, I was thinking about forming my own brackets in a brake and instead of drilling holes in a 1/2" sq tube and then having to weld bushings in the thing, it would be for simpler to form the brackets the proper width  and use the bushings just as spacers to hold the sides of the wider bracket apart.  I will also build the bracket with the lower portion that welds to the cabanes so I don't have to weld that to the brackets ether.

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »
I built mine with the angle built in to the longeron.

Offline grdev

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
Your wing mounts will go right on top of your top tube with the forward mount directly over your cabanes. If everything works out right your rear one will go over the top of your rear cabanes.  With the fuselage leveled, and centered, I will tack weld my forward bracket in the center. I will make sure it is level across the table. to make sure it is square with the center line I will tape a string on the center of the top longeron just to the rear of the rear cabane, and make sure the ends of the forward mount are the same distance from the center o the top longeron. When the distance is the same the mount will be square with the center line of the fuselage.

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »
I am assuming then the 29 inch dimension is center to center of the cabanes.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal