How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Eagle fuselage  (Read 2615 times)

Offline grdev

Eagle fuselage
« on: February 17, 2014, 02:39:24 AM »
I had a thought about how I built my fuselages for both the DE and XL. If I had it to do again I would lay out the top longeron assembly first, up to station two first. That way it could be built flat on the bench without all that jigging. I would draw both top and bottom longerons on the bench.

As an electrician we would from time to time have to stand off conduit runs from a wall of ceiling. It was standard practice to cut off a section of conduit the length we needed and run 1/4" all thread through the conduit with the proper size "MINI" to support the conduit. Once the nuts were tighten it made for a very stout support. The same could be done to support the top longeron. off the bench This way your top of the fuselage would be held securely above your lower longerons without all the wood supports and bracing.

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
Re: Eagle fuselage
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »
I can't visualize this.  What is a "MIMI"?

Offline grdev

Re: Eagle fuselage
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 06:07:11 AM »
A mini is a clip for holding conduit.  It wraps around the conduit and clamps around the conduit with a bolt.  It has  center hole at the bottom side for a 1/4" screw/bolt. They sell them at any hardware or Lowes store.

I am just saying I would build the top longeron including the "V" section with the curved cross member flat on the table first.  You will have a centerline snapped on your bench. Where builders are now building a box with extensions and  support for the tail post. drill some holes from the tail post forward to station two through the bench top and run a piece of 1/4" all thread through a proper length of 1/2" thin wall conduit with the Mini conduit clip on top to support the top longeron.  Then build our lower longerons. This way you will have the top longeron centered and at the right height above the lower longerons. then all you need do is cut you vertical supports and tack them in. This would work well up to station two.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal