How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Drawings  (Read 11292 times)

Offline grdev

Drawings
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:07:31 AM »
I wonder how hard it would be for one of you CAD guys to make up a real set of drawings, showing every part with actual angles and dimensions? Sure would simplify the build, and maybe more potential builders would start and finish an Eagle

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Drawings
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:10:59 AM »
I wonder how hard it would be for one of you CAD guys to make up a real set of drawings, showing every part with actual angles and dimensions? Sure would simplify the build, and maybe more potential builders would start and finish an Eagle
Is there anything about the current drawings that prevent a motivated builder from completing an Eagle?

Offline grdev

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 08:36:49 AM »
None what  soever, if in fact one is motivated as you say. You in fact made several changes to your build, wouldn't it be nice if a new builder had all that information in front of them in black and white? the Wright brothers didn't have so much as a sketch, but they were no doubt motivated . Just look at how many questions there have been just about the thickness of the wing/gear brackets.  I would have liked to have seen a mechanical drawing of both your design for that bracket as well as Leonard's.
There are builders that just love to build, there are builders that just want a plane to fly, the ones that are a combination of the other two, and finally l the ones that start and never finish.  The latter being the largest group. I read where only one in ten that order aircraft plans ever start the project, and out of that group only one in ten finish and fly the plane. I'm all for anything that would help increase the number of planes started and finished and flown. Just thought, I  personally spent my adult life working with detailed drawings, would have liked to have had a set to build from.  some of the CAD drawings I have seen are absolutely great, sure would have helped me on my first try had I had them to study. There were many changes I had to make when I built my DE because there were  some parts that didn't quite work, and as a newbie builder , if I was not motivated would have been enough for me to  just quit. something would have to be worked out for Leonard's blessing, but IMHO, a detailed set of drawings would certainly be a plus.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:22:20 AM »
None what  soever, if in fact one is motivated as you say. You in fact made several changes to your build, wouldn't it be nice if a new builder had all that information in front of them in black and white? the Wright brothers didn't have so much as a sketch, but they were no doubt motivated . Just look at how many questions there have been just about the thickness of the wing/gear brackets.  I would have liked to have seen a mechanical drawing of both your design for that bracket as well as Leonard's.
There are builders that just love to build, there are builders that just want a plane to fly, the ones that are a combination of the other two, and finally l the ones that start and never finish.  The latter being the largest group. I read where only one in ten that order aircraft plans ever start the project, and out of that group only one in ten finish and fly the plane. I'm all for anything that would help increase the number of planes started and finished and flown. Just thought, I  personally spent my adult life working with detailed drawings, would have liked to have had a set to build from.  some of the CAD drawings I have seen are absolutely great, sure would have helped me on my first try had I had them to study. There were many changes I had to make when I built my DE because there were  some parts that didn't quite work, and as a newbie builder , if I was not motivated would have been enough for me to  just quit. something would have to be worked out for Leonard's blessing, but IMHO, a detailed set of drawings would certainly be a plus.
You presented interesting points, some of which I agree with.

There is a reason why I have refused to offer dimensions and parts lists for the mods I made to my Eagle (in spite of numerous requests). The modifications to my aircraft were made only after my mission profile, builder skills, and risk management were analyzed. The results I came up with are not appropriate for all builders and I have no intention of supplanting Leonard as the official source of build info for his plane, or suggesting "authorized" changes. Builder beware if you consider cloning anything on my plane, my changes are prototypical in the strictest sense.

The material thickness for the strut brackets is clearly called out on the plans.

And this will no doubt offend some...but I am sorta old-school in holding the opinion that someone who isn't motivated to study Leonard's plans enough to figure things out really shouldn't be building a plans-built aircraft. Building something as complex as even a simple Eagle is not for those who have issues with self-motivation or solving problems. Problem solving and THINKING is the motivation and reward I find in building something like an aircraft. Not everyone is ready to exert the necessary effort, and a kit-built plane or other project will probably be a better fit for them.

Yes, Scott's CAD renderings are great, but present an awkward situation for his working relationship with Leonard. 'Nuff said.

I think we would all agree the best resource we have is this forum where questions can be answered and new ideas bounced around for discussion. Over the past three years I haven't seen any questions presented that couldn't be addressed by members on the forum....well...maybe not when it comes to the ultimate prop.  :D

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »
>>>wonder how hard it would be for one of you CAD guys to make up a real set of drawings, showing every part with actual angles and dimensions? Sure would simplify the build, and maybe more potential builders would start and finish an Eagle

i'm glad to see a little bitchin

what we need around here is a good fuss. like on the old list

Offline PropMan

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 03:18:29 PM »
..well...maybe not when it comes to the ultimate prop.  :D
:) We're workin on that!
Frank

Offline Mike Gracey

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 03:28:53 PM »
I was wondering how long it would take for one to start on the new site lets see what happens.

Offline Rich Snyder

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 04:08:36 PM »
I think we would all agree the best resource we have is this forum where questions can be answered and new ideas bounced around for discussion. Over the past three years I haven't seen any questions presented that couldn't be addressed by members on the forum....well...maybe not when it comes to the ultimate prop.  :D
OK so here is mine for the night. On page 6 of my XL plans Leonard calls for all dimensions to be " Center to Center". Here's my problem; I got brave enough to think about welding up station #1. On page 4 the drawing of station #1 is a little iffy as to weather the measurement is center to center or end to end. On page 8A the measurement is definitely shown end to end. Any guidance appreciated. When all is said and done, (welded), I guess the most important dimension is the Engine Mount dimension .

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 04:24:40 PM »
I was wondering how long it would take for one to start on the new site lets see what happens.

we've been way too sweet. it's boring me to death. we're just an info outlet. we gotta work on our old list personality. somebody snap at somebody

Offline Rich Snyder

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »

we've been way too sweet. it's boring me to death. we're just an info outlet. we gotta work on our old list personality. somebody snap at somebody

I don't dare snap atcha. I need you guys too much and fear a shunning.::)

Offline bill utt

• Beta testers
  • flown 7-5-14
  • Eagle Type: Modified DE
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
I think someone should build a XL Trike!
"Any time spent off this planet, is time well invested"

Offline John Reinking

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1.7 Safari 5.1.7
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 12:43:56 PM »
I am a newbie builder to the DE and am a bit stumped by one item:   On Mr. Mulholland's full size rib drawing for the LE (including DE), looking at the Upright stick  (which is nailed to the spar)  and is drawn with solid lines.  Alongside is a dotted line with the note "Double Eagle" pointing to the dashed line.    

Is the location for the DE upright replacing the Legal Eagle upright at the dotted line or is the DE upright simply glued to the back of the LE upright?   Otherwise all is A-okay.  

Sounds dumb, and I apologize for this post but have glued  this first rib up to that point and am a bit confused. oment so decided to take a chance and post this to you  more experienced builders.    Quick reply would sure be appreciated.    

John Reinking, Woodinville, WA  425 - 481 - 5060 or reinkings@comcast.net
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline John Reinking

• Browser:
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 06:37:11 PM »
Looking at the DE rib drawing it occured to me that the location for the DE up in question is there to reinforce the upright stick for the LE.      Went ahead and installed a doubler.  If this is wrong, please advise.    John Reinking
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline rfeenstra

• 2017 Donor
  • CabinBuilder
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 29.0 Firefox 29.0
  • Eagle Type: DE w/Cabin Mod
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »
I know on my DE, the root ribs and the rib by the strut attach fitting required a doubler since the vertical piece had to be partially cut out to accommodate the  1/8" thick fittings.  Perhaps this is what the drawing is indicating.

Rob

Offline John Reinking

• Browser:
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »
Ah, good!   Was afraid I'd have to make a new rib.   Thanks, Rob.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal