How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Weights  (Read 3525 times)

Offline grdev

Weights
« on: February 17, 2014, 12:26:10 PM »
My ribs weigh just a few ounces over six pounds, and my fuselage tack welded weighs 32 pounds, wonder if I'm staying in the envelope?

Offline Sparrow

• Sparrow
  • 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 29.0 Firefox 29.0
  • Eagle Type: LE XL # D-21
Re: Weights
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »
I have just finished weighing various parts of Woodstock and they are:
·       Fuselage
With Black Max wheels, brakes, lines, blocker valve like a parking brake when used and master cylinder, all flight controls, stick, pulleys, fairleads and cables, with seat straps installed.  No fire wall, floor board or tail feathers.
Weight is: RF= 23.0#, LF= 22.6# and tail= 13.8# and Total = 59.6#
·       Wings Main
The wings are fully assembled and have been rigged for flight and then removed and put on their own cradle.  The wings are of standard construction and are reduced in length by one panel on each wing.  This makes the wing shorter by 15” per side.  They are covered with 1.7oz/sqy material that has a Glidden primer coat and 2 top coats of Glidden exterior house pain.  The paint was reduced by 50% with windshield washing fluid when they were painted.  Follow the latex painting procedures you will find on line.  The fuel tank is fiberglass and in the right wing.  I will only put 5 gallons of fuel in it but it will hold about 7.5 gallons if toped off.  The side of the tank next to the wing mounting end is clear enough so one can see the fuel level when seated in the aircraft.  If you want pictures of anything let me know. 
Weight is:  Right Wing = 38.0#, Left Wing = 32.5#, Total Combined Wing Weight = 70.5#.  I do consider the wings to be over weight by at least 3# per wing due to some assembly and coating that could have been made lighter.  Let me just say that there is more than enough varnish on the wings and the latex could have been made thinner.  I am not going to worry about it any more.
·       Lift Struts with hardware, both sides together = 8.22#
Individual strut weights with hardware attached are as follows:
RF= 31.8oz, RR= 33.5oz, LF= 31.9oz, LR= 33.9oz.  The weights are for standard round Al struts.
·       Streamlined Vertical Jury Struts with hardware and round connecting Al tube = 30.2oz (1.8875#). 
Breakdown of components weights are:  Average streamlined vertical struts weigh an average of 4.23oz each and the horizontal Al connecting tube = 2.1oz each.
·       Tail Feathers Fully Assembled, Covered and Painted Total = 10.8#
The individual weights are:  Horizontal stab with elevator attached = 6.8#, Vertical stab = 2.1#, Rudder = 1.9#.

The above adds up to 151. 254-151=103# left before I have a fat bird.

I have the firewall weight, the engine mounting hardware weight and the weight of a standard 3 piece wind shield I will be adding in later tomorrow.  I will also look up the weight of the engine Scott said he would hold to and ask Dr. Spencer how much his 58x20 prop weighs.

Now that I know how to modify my posts I can do this.  I should end up with a reasonable estimate of total weight of the aircraft complete with the exception of avionics and a small battery to run the gauges.

John
John Leake
1409 Briarwood Dr.
Blacksburg, VA, USA
11leake11@gmail.com
Plans arrived Dec. 2013
LE XL-D-21

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
Re: Weights
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 05:54:25 AM »
I have my firewall & floor board installed and my RF 23.6  LF 23.4 but can't weigh tail on my digital scale, to light. Also no tail wheel installed yet

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal