How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: XL wings  (Read 13762 times)

Offline grdev

XL wings
« on: March 09, 2014, 05:52:19 AM »
I know folding wings on the eagles has been discussed many times before, so although that would be perfect for me, I won't go there.  Being old and retired we try to escape those brutal Wisconsin winters by staying in the Ozarks in Missouri. Still gets cold here, but not - 20 or - 30  with - 70 wind chills .  There are 11 old pilots like me that went together and formed an LLC and purchased WI50 a small grass strip in Albany WI, just a few miles from EAA 431 Brodhead WI.  Works out great, no one has to put a ton of money in, and we all take turns mowing and such.  Now while I'm in Missouri there are no airports less than a 45 minuet drive one way, most likely because there are no straight roads.  I do have an airport just a few blocks away from me here in Viburnum, MO, but it is owned by the Doe Run Mining Company. This is the lead producing capitol of the world.  The rub is, I can land and take off there with permission each time, but I can't keep my plane there.
Now to my point, there are several of you that take your planes around the country and assemble and dissemble your wings. Is there an easy way for one person to accomplish this? How long does it normally take?
Thanks
Gil

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 27.0 Firefox 27.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: XL wings
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »
I know folding wings on the eagles has been discussed many times before, so although that would be perfect for me, I won't go there.  Being old and retired we try to escape those brutal Wisconsin winters by staying in the Ozarks in Missouri. Still gets cold here, but not - 20 or - 30  with - 70 wind chills .  There are 11 old pilots like me that went together and formed an LLC and purchased WI50 a small grass strip in Albany WI, just a few miles from EAA 431 Brodhead WI.  Works out great, no one has to put a ton of money in, and we all take turns mowing and such.  Now while I'm in Missouri there are no airports less than a 45 minuet drive one way, most likely because there are no straight roads.  I do have an airport just a few blocks away from me here in Viburnum, MO, but it is owned by the Doe Run Mining Company. This is the lead producing capitol of the world.  The rub is, I can land and take off there with permission each time, but I can't keep my plane there.
Now to my point, there are several of you that take your planes around the country and assemble and dissemble your wings. Is there an easy way for one person to accomplish this? How long does it normally take?
Thanks
Gil

Gil:
I think Les Homan has a long range plan to trailer out to some of the scenic places - using the resin coated sinker spike temporary fastening is lynch-pin to a quick wing change - engineered by Joe Spencer... The water pipe stand seen in my Trailering photo gallery is another if you are going to do it single handed on the XL...
Steve

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:57 AM »
What are the wings, about 25 pounds ea., the  one with the fuel tank a little heaver? I guess if I had two posts like yours with maybe a cross pipe to hold them together, it wouldn't be too big a job for one person. I think I saw where Sam had a handle for picking each wing up.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Browser:
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
What are the wings, about 25 pounds ea., the  one with the fuel tank a little heaver? I guess if I had two posts like yours with maybe a cross pipe to hold them together, it wouldn't be too big a job for one person. I think I saw where Sam had a handle for picking each wing up.

Gil:
The XL wings mount separately unlike the LE which requires 2 people to do the root mount join... For the XL you put a pad on the ground at the wing tip - rest the tip on the pad as you shift up the wing to the root attaches and put the nails in - put the stand under the tip to raise & position for the lift strut end nails...

Sam's wing carrier is great - works like a sheet rock carrier... I think there is also a mounting frame of some sort over in the yahoo trailering files..
Steve

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:40:52 AM »
What are the wings, about 25 pounds ea., the  one with the fuel tank a little heaver? I guess if I had two posts like yours with maybe a cross pipe to hold them together, it wouldn't be too big a job for one person. I think I saw where Sam had a handle for picking each wing up.
XL wings are 35 lbs before covering and are extremely difficult to handle by yourself after covering due to the lack of handholds. The slightest breeze and they will be GONE! I did not attempt to rig the plane or load the wings into the truck without another set of hands. The handle I made was for flipping a wing over on a set of sawhorses while I was covering and painting.

Walking a wing single-handed with this handle is something you don't want to do!

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 02:05:49 PM »
I see in the old Eagle files a gentlemen built a wing lift using a sheet rock lift design as his model. I have a sheet rock lift I might just convert. Works great for 5/8" 4x8 drywall sheets so should handle my wings OK and my home flipping days are  well behind me now.
I like the trailer with the fold down sides. There are some very interesting concepts in the file section for working alone.  I too would like to travel and be able to fly around a little when I got there.  I have a couple of small utility trailers, but the one guy used an old 4 machine snowmobile trailer, which there are plenty of them in Wisconsin. That most likely would be the best choice to convert. Think my neighbor has one I probably could talk him out of.
Another idea is to build a sling that could attach to the wing mounts and an attachment, bar, that would go under the wing and hook onto the strut brackets. It wouldn't be hard to fabricate a cherry picker out of PVC or 2x2 for that matter and a bridle.  You would still need you water pipe stand, but if the wind isn't blowing you instructions of placing the wing on its end and raising the other end and using lynch pins sounds pretty straight forward and simple. In one of the photos the guy had something similar, but he used a small bench like stand on the root end and a folding stand in place of your water pipe one.
What are we using for lynch pins?

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Browser:
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
I see in the old Eagle files a gentlemen built a wing lift using a sheet rock lift design as his model. I have a sheet rock lift I might just convert. Works great for 5/8" 4x8 drywall sheets so should handle my wings OK and my home flipping days are  well behind me now.
I like the trailer with the fold down sides. There are some very interesting concepts in the file section for working alone.  I too would like to travel and be able to fly around a little when I got there.  I have a couple of small utility trailers, but the one guy used an old 4 machine snowmobile trailer, which there are plenty of them in Wisconsin. That most likely would be the best choice to convert. Think my neighbor has one I probably could talk him out of.
Another idea is to build a sling that could attach to the wing mounts and an attachment, bar, that would go under the wing and hook onto the strut brackets. It wouldn't be hard to fabricate a cherry picker out of PVC or 2x2 for that matter and a bridle.  You would still need you water pipe stand, but if the wind isn't blowing you instructions of placing the wing on its end and raising the other end and using lynch pins sounds pretty straight forward and simple. In one of the photos the guy had something similar, but he used a small bench like stand on the root end and a folding stand in place of your water pipe one.
What are we using for lynch pins?
>What are we using for lynch pins?<
Cement coated 16 penny sinker nails

Did you read (See) the root of the Legal Eagle Operators Handbook? - in the first text file of the Trailering Directory?

A flyer's guide to pre-flighting the Eagles as:

Do these checks whether you pre-flight or not);

1) Stick measure gas qty,
2) gas cap vent open and cap screwed on tank,
3) cable turnbuckle safety wires,
4) squeeze tires,
5) motor mount cracks / bolts,
6) control freedom / range / cable tension & control surfaces move in correct direction
7) engine safety cable,
8) Mikuni's throttle cable adjuster locknuts & safety wired to heads,
9) look empennage over,
10) Gas valve on,
11) seatbelt...

Might be some other individual specific items...

Goes on a card that is placed in a cab pocket with the gas measuring stick...

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »
No I didn't see that, I'll look again:-[

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 03:14:07 PM »
I used a hinge pin I ground  a point on. The point centers on the bolt and slips right in. I did center bunch the bolt.

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »
I have my front wing mounts in place, but just tacked. I didn't weld the .062" plate to the bottom of the 1/2" sq tube, rather I raised it to the top of the 1/2" tube and drilled my 3/8" bushing holes through the plate and welded the top and bottom of the gusset.. I'll drill some 1/2" hole in the plate to keep the weight down. I drilled 1/4" hole all around my fairlead sleeves, can't believe how much lighter they feel. In the morning I'm going up the road to Lowes and pick up two 3/8" 3' cold roll rods to use to alien my rear mount. If your holes aren't perfectly in line forward and aft and at the two degree angle, it can be hell to install the bolts in your wing brackets later. . Learned this the hard way with my DE. Before I weld my bushing in, I'll do the same process with two 1/4" rods.

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 07:02:07 AM »
I had another thought on how to handle the wing by ones self, even if the grade is a little off or there may be a slight breeze. . You could find the balanced point of your wing and install a couple of blocks like you do for the jury struts but only stick the brackets up through the top of the wing. It wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a Cherry Picker that would slide into your trailer receiver and you could position your wings  and raise it  to install. A bridle made of light chain and some S hooks should work to get the right angles & balance on the wing so they would line up with the fuselage wing mounts.
When I'm waiting for materials to arrive my mind wonders a little.  :)

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Browser:
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:36:25 AM »
I had another thought on how to handle the wing by ones self, even if the grade is a little off or there may be a slight breeze. . You could find the balanced point of your wing and install a couple of blocks like you do for the jury struts but only stick the brackets up through the top of the wing. It wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a Cherry Picker that would slide into your trailer receiver and you could position your wings  and raise it  to install. A bridle made of light chain and some S hooks should work to get the right angles & balance on the wing so they would line up with the fuselage wing mounts.
When I'm waiting for materials to arrive my mind wonders a little.  :)

Gil:
Take a look at what is sticking back from the top of this trailer: http://www.eaglersnest.com/forum/gallery/medium_3-281113132447-571125.jpeg

The trailer is purposed to haul and assemble a Titan Tornado single handed... The wing is picked up in the center and carried out on a trolley attached to the track - turned and lowered onto the Titan cab...
Steve

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 08:47:59 AM »
Thanks Steve, that is a great idea. A couple of sections of uni strut with rollers could do that. They sell uni strut at the local Menards for a fair price.  To install my wing on my Wagabond by myself, I built a little cradle that went under the wings out of 2x2s, and I used my engine hoist to raise the wings into position to set wash out and dihedral , but that took time and the engine hoist only rolls well on a flat hard surface.  I have a bike rack that slides in to a 2" receiver I could rig a gin pole to it and let it do double duty. I would love to travel out by you and other place in the South West where I could find  reasonable place to stay and take a few XL site seeing tours. .  I also have a ladder rack on my S-10 that may lend itself to a similar setup as that trailer.  Thanks for the information.

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »
I have a covered trailer. Added a trolley overhead and an attachmet
Method to lock it to the wing.  This allows me to dissassble and re assemble by myself even in a moderate wing  if plans work right will be making run with it kater this month and will put the process on video
Les Homan

Offline rockiedog2

• 2014 Donor
  • Joe Spencer
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 10:04:30 AM »
two 3/8" 3' cold roll rods to use to alien my rear mount. If your holes aren't perfectly in line forward and aft and at the two degree angle, it can be hell to install the bolts in your wing brackets later. . Learned this the hard way with my DE. Before I weld my bushing in, I'll do the same process with two 1/4" rods.
 i may be misunderstanding what youre saying here if so please excuse
also there are some possible variables that may come into play when rigging the wing mounts.
on my LEU with the wing butted up against the fuse and the bottom of the wing set at 2 degrees it was obvious that the bushings couldn't be aligned with a threaded rod w/o the bolts going thru the spar and fittings at something other than 90 degrees so I abandoned the threaded rod technique and just made up the posts and bushings to fit the fittings and fuse, pinned same to the fittings and mig tacked in place; removed the wing and finish welded. perfect fit, perfect angle of incidence.
i don't really see how the threaded rod can be used thru both bushings and also go thru the spars at right angles. but like i said there may be some variables between fuselages that i guess could make it work.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal