How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Seat Belt Fittings  (Read 10665 times)

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
Re: Seat Belt Fittings
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »
I don't want to tell you how to build your plane, so please don't take this the wrong way. A shoulder belt out of  an old van will prevent you from eating the instrument panel, but it will also burse your chest and bend your tubing every place you have it hooked to. this I know for a fact. I think your gear cluster is the strongest point for your lap belt. Also should you find yourself upside down and gasoline is dripping all around you, you won't like your seat belt release you have. I have seen them stick and almost impossible to get open. Plan to take a sharp knife with you to cut the seatbelt if you use an auto type release. I had a set up very similar to yours when I lost an engine and made a rough landing. Leonard's aluminum seat is very, very strong, actually stronger than the fuselage. You would not be disappointed with it. .

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Seat Belt Fittings
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »
I'm with Gil on this one. Harness attachments at mid-span of a tube is a very bad idea. And I would never use an automotive latch for the reasons he stated. There is a reason why school buses in our state have to carry a belt cutter within reach of the driver.........

Murray, you can do much better than this.  Please consider a good aviation or racing harness and install it according to recommedations....best to save your pennies someplace other than safety equipment.   :)

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal