How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Ignition choices for 1/2VW power plant  (Read 12747 times)

Offline mate88

Ignition choices for 1/2VW power plant
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:32:14 AM »
Is there a 'best' ignition pack for the good ol' VeeDub?

My previous motor was  Morry Hummel 32hp with magneto. Unfortunately this and the airframe were consumed in a shop fire along with everything else! I have since rebuilt and have lots of shiny new tools and machinery - thank Farmers Insurance!! Now I need a project..........

With all the simple CDI units around one would think some enterprising chap could design and/or assemble a 'kit' for us - no? Briggs and Stratton have simple ignition systems on their lawn mower engines and they seem to last forever.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Ignition choices for 1/2VW power plant
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »
You might check what Steve Bennett has at GPAS

Pertronics was the favored unit for Bob Hoover if IIRC... Here's the link: http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

There was major dialog about the conversion of the magnet ring that goes over the dist. cam in the old message system that possibly cannot be searched currently with yahoo neo tools... The substance is you should remove the magnets that are for the dead cylinders...

A dead simple conversion is to grind two of the dist. cam lobes off and use the points to trigger a dual fire coil for a waste spark system - just a cover on the dist. base is used - no cap or rotor - this setup saves 1.5 lbs over the Blue coil, rotor & cap...

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »
Regarding Dual fire coils, I used 1998 Honda CBR 600 coils that are showing up now used on Ebay for $35 - I went to a local reclaimer and bought them for $25 in 2001... This coil has a built in ballast resistor so you can wire direct from the dist. to the coil + lug... In my case the 12 volts comes from the EI controller... You can see how I did dual batteries and the coil mounts on my LE here: http://www.angoraaffaire.com/leu/id58.htm

Offline nheistand

• Better Half VW
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 04:19:27 PM »
Yes, it should be simple. A 1974 Honda 400 has a nice ignition that does not need a battery. How hard to get one and adapt to a prop hub? What I use that is simple, reliable, and low cost is a clone 009 distributor with "electronic ignition" in it (found on ebay) and a Harley Davidson Sportster dual fire 3 ohm ignition coil (found on ebay). I just ground one plug wire from the coil and wire the other to the coil input on the distributor cap. Then two of the plug wires from the cap go to the spark plugs and the other two go to the same ground as the coil extra plug wire. Just using a dual output coil as a single output coil and wasting the extra two coil triggers. A small 12v battery runs the system. Of course the same system would work on a 4 cyl VW.

Norm Heistand  my .02
Norm Heistand  my .02

Offline Vince B

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »
Regarding Dual fire coils, I used 1998 Honda CBR 600 coils that are showing up now used on Ebay for $35 - I went to a local reclaimer and bought them for $25 in 2001... This coil has a built in ballast resistor so you can wire direct from the dist. to the coil + lug... In my case the 12 volts comes from the EI controller... You can see how I did dual batteries and the coil mounts on my LE here: http://www.angoraaffaire.com/leu/id58.htm
Are you using the 009 distributor and I would like to see the way you wire it up to the motor .

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 08:11:14 PM »
Are you using the 009 distributor and I would like to see the way you wire it up to the motor .

My CBR 600 coils are being driven by Leburg controllers...

On a 009 Distr with breaker point cam modified to fire twice per revolution the + feed is Bat -> DC rated switch -> points in -> points out -> + lug on dual fire coil...  See Norm's Reply Above...

Offline Vince B

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »

On a 009 Distr with breaker point cam modified to fire twice per revolution the + feed is Bat -> DC rated switch -> points in -> points out -> + lug on dual fire coil... See Norm's Reply above...

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 10:05:14 AM »

On a 009 Distr with breaker point cam modified to fire twice per revolution the + feed is Bat -> DC rated switch -> points in -> points out -> + lug on dual fire coil...  See Norm's reply above...
Vince:
Is there a Comment or Question?
Steve

Offline Vince B

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 05:26:50 PM »

On a 009 Distr with breaker point cam modified to fire twice per revolution the + feed is Bat -> DC rated switch -> points in -> points out -> + lug on dual fire coil... See Norm's Reply next...
Vince:
Is there a Comment or Question?
Steve
[/quote

I do but my laptop crashed in the middle of it and I can't see that good with this phone ,get back after I reprogram .,Vince  

Offline nheistand

• Better Half VW
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »
The 009 distributor electronic ignition systems have two wires, red and black. The red wire is + from the switch to power the electronic module which is grounded where it is attached. The black wire is the ground for the coil. The electronic module interrupts the ground to the coil when it is triggered by the magnet. The coil also gets a + lead from the switch. So from the battery we power both the coil and the electronic module, and the electronic module provides the ground for the coil.

With a points system, normally the coil gets the + from the switch and the ground lead goes to the points. Then the points interrupt the coil ground when the cam lobe opens the points. The 009 electronic ignition "kits" replace the points with a transistor module and add a plastic wheel with magnets to the rotor. A CDI ignition system is wired differently. The power goes to the module which has an output lead that goes to the + on the coil. The other coil lead is wired to ground. When the CDI module is triggered it dumps a big capacitor to the coil +. So the transistor ignition controls the coil ground while the CDI ignition controls the coil + power.

Norm Heistand  my .02
Norm Heistand  my .02

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal