How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Spar splicing  (Read 5666 times)

Offline Peterross

• No longer a Noob
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
Spar splicing
« on: April 26, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »
Hi all
I'm ready to order my wood for the wings. I know that the plans say the spar caps can be spliced. What are the advantages and disadvantages of splicing? Is there a shipping cost difference? A strength difference?
Thanks

Offline Murray Randall

• 2015 Donor
  • Murray
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Cabin mod XL
Re: Spar splicing
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:16:58 AM »
Nobody has responded!?!?!?     No life left in the site?        Anyhow Spar cap splicing is not the best place to be implementing cost savings!!!!    A proper splice should include a ply doublers that would make assy of the ribs difficult.   FAA AC 43.13 1B gives guidance that should be read carefully when messing with splices.
Cabin Mod to XL

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:19:20 AM »
Nobody has responded!?!?!?     No life left in the site?        Anyhow Spar cap splicing is not the best place to be implementing cost savings!!!!    A proper splice should include a ply doublers that would make assy of the ribs difficult.   FAA AC 43.13 1B gives guidance that should be read carefully when messing with splices.

Spar splicing has appeared in many group "Conversations" the flavor of which can be sampled with a Group Conversation search on the yahoo Group... This is the resulting search argument Link: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EaglersNests/search/messages?query=spar%20splicing

Offline Murray Randall

• 2015 Donor
  • Murray
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Cabin mod XL
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:17:37 AM »
Yeah, we've beat the spar WEB splice issue over and over. But if your trying to save material cost and shipping cost you have to talking about the spar CAPS, 5/8 X 3/4, 3/4 X 3/4 150" or so inches long.  Splicing the caps is not a good idea.  Splicing the webs is a far more debatable issue.  Yes I spliced my webs but happily adimit its certainly not necessary.    Of interest maybe.  The Fleet 16 B's upper wing spars were originally manufactured using 16 pieces of spruce in four laminations and four splices in each lamination.   It was a 28 foot span w/ no center section. 
Cabin Mod to XL

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:00:30 AM »
Yeah, we've beat the spar WEB splice issue over and over. But if your trying to save material cost and shipping cost you have to talking about the spar CAPS, 5/8 X 3/4, 3/4 X 3/4 150" or so inches long.  Splicing the caps is not a good idea.  Splicing the webs is a far more debatable issue.  Yes I spliced my webs but happily adimit its certainly not necessary.    Of interest maybe.  The Fleet 16 B's upper wing spars were originally manufactured using 16 pieces of spruce in four laminations and four splices in each lamination.   It was a 28 foot span w/ no center section.  

I get a kick out of Robert S Hoover's Chugger concept - you've probably have read this a number of times but at the risk of repetition:  http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/flying-on-cheap-wood.html I particularly like the smell of pine, shavings, sawdust & epoxy that just lets you place the pieces in the same neighborhood... Another of Hoover's cheap ideas was to get the GM EcoTech 2300cc 4 cyl Commercial service motor in a crate and limit it to 2700 rpm on a direct drive long wood prop making 60 HP at the mid-section of it's torque curve rise... That engine in my Saturn Vue Crossover cruises the car 70 mph at 2600 RPM without the Chugger Commercial cam... Runs 4 hours on 12 gallons of gas...

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal