How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Rudder Pedals and Stubs  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Rich Snyder

• Mac OS X 10.9.2 Mac OS X 10.9.2
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0.3 Safari 7.0.3
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
Rudder Pedals and Stubs
« on: May 10, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
I know this has been talked about before but I would like to know where on the fuse to weld the rudder stubs. I read Leonard's instruction to use a banding metal extension to adjust for different size pilots but I am also wondering if the stub should fall about where your heel naturally falls or just a bit forward of that, ( heels falling on the floorboard).
Another question about fabricating the pedals is; how thick is that cable attach / spring attach piece? I cut some .032 for them but after looking at them I wondered if something that thin would cut into the cable thimble. Rich.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 29.0 Firefox 29.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Rudder Pedals and Stubs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
I know this has been talked about before but I would like to know where on the fuse to weld the rudder stubs. I read Leonard's instruction to use a banding metal extension to adjust for different size pilots but I am also wondering if the stub should fall about where your heel naturally falls or just a bit forward of that, ( heels falling on the floorboard).
Another question about fabricating the pedals is; how thick is that cable attach / spring attach piece? I cut some .032 for them but after looking at them I wondered if something that thin would cut into the cable thimble. Rich.

Rich:
I waited on locating the rudder pedal pivots until I had the fus along far enough to have a temporary seat in it - I'm big and this was critical for me in the smaller dimensioned LE... I had someone look at my feet as I moved them enough to actuate the full rudder motion... I reduced the height of the plan pedal & moved them forward until the motor mount bolts were the rudder travel stop - I have a 32" pant seam...
My heels rest on the cab floor in front of the pedal and toes actuate the rudder pedal horizontal tubes... Others have worked on the seat position by putting an add'l tube across the cab that establishes the aft bottom of the seat sling further back... The Eagles are a make to fit airplane - there is plenty of room in the XL for you...
Steve

Offline Rich Snyder

• Mac OS X 10.9.2 Mac OS X 10.9.2
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0.3 Safari 7.0.3
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 07:00:20 PM »
Rich: I waited on locating the rudder pedal pivots until I had the fus along far enough to have a temporary seat in it -  The Eagles are a make to fit airplane - there is plenty of room in the XL for you... Steve[/b]
[/quote]

Steve- So true. I will wait until I have finalized my position in the plane before I nail down the stub positions. Today was the first time that I actually got into the fuse and used a couple of old couch cushions to simulate my not yet made seat. As you all know the urge to make airplane noises was great but I did not do it. I do admit to practicing a couple of maneuvers with my invisible control stick though. ;). What about the cable / spring attach tab thickness? Rich.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 29.0 Firefox 29.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:22:59 PM »
Rich: I waited on locating the rudder pedal pivots until I had the fus along far enough to have a temporary seat in it -  The Eagles are a make to fit airplane - there is plenty of room in the XL for you... Steve[/b]
> What about the cable / spring attach tab thickness? Rich.<

I used .035 on the LE but if it worries you tack a washer on there to thicken it up at the wear point... On an application where there are wheel brakes in the cable system it's best to wrap the .035 around the tube so a broken tab weld will not open the circuit - that's the point to be concerned about regarding abuse - I liked my motor mount bolt stops on the pedals for that reason - it still doesn't prevent someone slamming both feet forward and sending the stress all the way back to the rudder bellcrank -make that part (well)...

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal