How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Prop height  (Read 2204 times)

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
Prop height
« on: June 13, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
I will be using a 72" prop on my XL with the center of the Prop hub 8" above the crankshaft center line. Using the center of the firewall as a reference for the center of my crankshaft, that raises the center of the prop almost even with station one top cross member, or just at the bottom of the wind screen.  Will having the prop raised to that height  cause any adverse effects?. I could always lower the engine 8" but then I would need to build longer gear legs  to have at least 8" of clearance on the prop with the fuselage in a level position.

Offline rockiedog2

• 2014 Donor
  • Joe Spencer
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
Re: Prop height
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 03:50:21 PM »
I put my thrust line 6" below the top long(what I call the longitudinal axis) thinking that will make the pitch response correct when adding/reducing power. when adding power the nose rises; when decreasing power the nose lowers. seems like I read that in some manual long ago. well, it works on mine. I think that's a requirement on certified planes.
I expect the thrust line has been tried all over on homebuilts and there are large variation in the results...like those planes with the motor on top of the wing. Gene/Larry Smith has all those planes with redrives...might give him a call and see what he says. he oughta know

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal