How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: This message is Fot Tom Hubbuch  (Read 5867 times)

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Scott - aka Slug Musher
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Standard L/E
This message is Fot Tom Hubbuch
« on: June 29, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
Hey Tom,

How did you like the windshield on Tree Hugger? It looks good but does it work,, or I guess,, did it work . I need to make a new windshield and not sure which way to go.

Thanks

Scott J.
P.S. Are you coming to Oshkosh this year?

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 30.0 Firefox 30.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
Re: This message is Fot Tom Hubbuch
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »
Hey, Scott.
The windshield on Treehugger worked great.  It kept the wind blast off your face.  Still got some wind on back of head and shoulders, but that is probably the case with the plans type windscreen.  Surely lighter than the plans type.

I plan to be at Osh this year, not sure exact dates, but leaning towards the first half of the week.  Actually, I am getting suggestions from several "friends" to fly Stubby there.  It's a 500 mile trip though.  Would take a full day, probably.  Would need a ground crew to drive up.  Only flew into Osh once before, a long time ago.  Lots of concerns to address.

See you there.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Browser:
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:04:53 PM »
Tom,

The good thing about Stuby is that is that is Ultralight "LIKE"  performance wise so you can use the ul strip which is a lot easier than blending in with the other  aircraft traffic for the main runways. Sure understand about the ground support and effort to fly up.

Look forward to seeing you.

Scott J.

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 07:15:04 AM »
I don't know about operating from the UL strip.  Even Spencer made a comment about there is no room for error or mishap on takeoff.  How long is that strip?  How tall are the trees at the end?  And then, what is beyond the trees?

I'll have to do some pondering.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 09:04:51 AM »
Tom, check out this video of Joe flying the OSH UL pattern. This should answer many of your questions.

Offline rockiedog2

• 2014 Donor
  • Joe Spencer
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
the main thang is don't go east of the road that angles to final. look at the notam. you go right over the top of the road not either side of it especially east as that encroaches on the runway. the tower looks right down that road and they can tell if you're east of it and will call the red barn and the ops guys will call you out on it. they like to do it right by the fence where a couple thousand folks are hanging out laughing theirasses off at the ream job youre gettin. and if you get west the folks that live there will raisehell. right over the road. and don't hit the phone pole when making the turn from the angling base to final. you can fly down a road can't you Thom? look it up on google earth and study it. i think theres a pic in the notam too.
its not near as big a deal as going into the arrival pattern with all the real planes. theyre gonna be running all over you and having to do 360s and all sorts of potential problems...and the controllers are gonna be yeling at you to speed up and you wont be able to. and the pattern may go half way across the big lake. you gonna carry a life boat with you? definitely go into the red barn its not much to it. i got a couple of those public ream jobs. one of them i had coming. the other one was for what engleman did that they blamed on me. i didn't take that one...we had school instead.
the red barn Thom...no doubt. you dont even need a radio.

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »
Tom.

Ditto with what the professor said. It aint a big deal. Just study the notam a little. It's really funny when you get a GA pilot or should I say a real  airplane flying off your rear quarter and they think you are going to rwy 36 L/R and follow you in only to find out the goofed up and then really goof up the pattern as they realize they went to the wrong runway. It's all good though....  You can do it with no problem. I think the published length is 1200fT. It' s all in the notams for the UL runway pattern.

Scott J.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal