How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Where is Devault?  (Read 5878 times)

Offline rockiedog2

• 2014 Donor
  • Joe Spencer
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 30.0 Firefox 30.0
Where is Devault?
« on: July 07, 2014, 05:57:16 PM »
Am I right that Devault has disappeared or is that just my imagination? I don't remember him posting up anything for some time now and he was about the most active poster for a while there. Did somebody insult Gil?

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
Re: Where is Devault?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »
I see Gil over on the Yahoo group site "Milholland Eagle acft/dsgn Experimental".  He seems to be busy building an XL.  And, he is trying real hard to keep it light.  Gonna use a 1/3 Corvair motor.  Hope it works out.  Don't think the corvair is going to be more beneficial compared to the VW.  No more power, I don't think.  Supposedly cheaper, maybe that's the benefit.  Will be a good variant of the Eagles if it works out.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline docmatt

• doc matt
  • 2015 Donor
  • DE E-04 under construction
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
  • Eagle Type: DE
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:25:58 AM »
If he is at his Wisconsin home I'll try to track him down. He lives pretty close to me.  I'll try to report.
 I also dropped out of sight.(but I keep a low profile anyway).  My build has ground to a halt due to fatherly responsibilities.  Now I know why it's mostly old guys who build planes!

doc matt
doc matt
DE E-04 under construction
Mineral Point, WI

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 06:25:30 AM »

I also dropped out of sight.(but I keep a low profile anyway).  My build has ground to a halt due to fatherly responsibilities.  Now I know why it's mostly old guys who build planes!

doc matt
Your priorities are in the right place.  There will come a time when the plane can be completed. 

But if you can get the kids and spouse involved in the build it can be a great family experience.  :)

Offline Mike Gracey

• Beta testers
  • Legal eagle XL
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 07:41:38 AM »
That's funny Doc I am in the same boat I have my XL sitting on the landing gear but have not been able to work on it much of late very hard when have wife and two small kids.

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 09:17:21 AM »
Grand kids! Been busy with my granddaughters. We even visited Leonard at his hangar a few weeks ago.
Ultravair has my engine doing some machining work, I had a Corvair engine I would never have used for anything, I bought a Lycoming for my Wagabond, so the Corvair seemed like a fun project. I'm sure it won't be any better, or maybe not as good as the VW, but I had a Corvair  engine to play with. If funds permit I may go with the larger VW jugs and pistons to pump out a little more HP. The fuselage is sitting on the gear, the wing spars need the webbing glued on. I had some problems with T-88 glue samples and Doug Fir. If you use DF and T-88 make sure you read the T-88 instructions for DF use.  won't be doing much until fall, but I should have the plane ready to fly by spring, or sooner. As soon as I pick up my webbing plywood and have it glued in place I will assemble the wings. I am seriously considering getting an N number so I can have a little more flexibility with engine size and larger fuel tanks. I personal have dropped over 50 pounds so I'm in hopes of having a real performer.  I will be using a redrive on my XL spinning a 72" prop, so I have to raise my main gear a little for prop clearance I've been going over all of Steve's posting on trailering and wing instillations. Just this week I was given permission to use an airport less than a 1/4 mile from my home in Missouri. While at Leonard's hangar he showed me his folding wing. I will look very closely at all the folding wings at Air Venture to get some more ideas, but now I leaning towards just building a trailer and installing the wings for each flight. 
96 here today, to hot to go outside. Getting ready for the Pietenpol fly in Brodhead, WI & air venture. See you in Oshkosh

Offline rockiedog2

• 2014 Donor
  • Joe Spencer
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »
Hi Gil

Thought i would pass this on FWIW...I've trailered mine to OSH i think it was 5x and to reklaw about that many. after pulling the wings all those x i can tell you that it's in no way practical to try to do that every time you want to fly. it's time consuming, ticky and is NO FUN after a couple x. There is danger of missing a fastener too; it happens. I missed safetying an elevator turnbuckle one time and went out and flew. Had about 2 threads holding when I landed. I quit hauling to flyins cause got so tired of doing the wings. Frankly, if i knew i was gonna have to do that every time i flew I'd put the project up for sale. The folding wings would be so much better...if done really right. So one man could easily fold/unfold by himself.

Spencer

Offline docmatt

• doc matt
  • 2015 Donor
  • DE E-04 under construction
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
  • Eagle Type: DE
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
Sam, I'd like to get the family involved.

My 14 year old son has amazing fabrication skills, for his age, but not quite up to aircraft standards.  He is cutting his teeth on some motorcycle projects with me, and builds airsoft replicas of historic guns.  Anybody want a machine gun on his Eagle?
doc matt
DE E-04 under construction
Mineral Point, WI

Offline Sparrow

• Sparrow
  • 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: LE XL # D-21
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »
There is a glider patch about 40 miles from me.  I went there a few weeks ago to see the gliders being built up and torn down for towing.  YouTube has some nice videos of the gliders and the compact hauling units they have devised over the years.  I am thinking of incorporating some of their techniques in my trailer.  I am looking at getting a used pontoon trailer and fabricating it to suit Woodstock and his wings.  I am also looking at folding the tail vertically.  This is done on the Kolb.  The Kolb arrangement is nice and I see how it can be designed into an LE if one incorporates it in the initial wing and fuse build.  I see no reason for the weight to go high and there are advantages to a folding wing like not putting up with the airport regs for insurance and not liking low and slow at their field.  Poor guys don't know what they are missing.  Well, that is my 2 cents.  Good luck.  John L.
John Leake
1409 Briarwood Dr.
Blacksburg, VA, USA
11leake11@gmail.com
Plans arrived Dec. 2013
LE XL-D-21

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal