How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Difficult posting  (Read 8118 times)

Offline Sparetime

• 2014 Donor
  • Noob
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
  • Eagle Type: Xl c-28
Difficult posting
« on: July 23, 2014, 10:22:20 AM »
I've tried and tried posting and always end up just deleting it. The preview doesn't work for me either.
We only have 385 members and when we left yahoo we were at 1200 or so. How many valuable posts with usefull ideas and comments never get posted? Do we need to return to yahoo to get more participation or just another format? It appears with the participation level and the number of posters that something better should be considered. A handful of posters won't be enough to keep everyone interested and it doesn't seem the learning curve on posting is getting any better.  Just lurking for now.

Jim

Offline aeroplain2003

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: LEU
Re: Difficult posting
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 04:46:58 PM »
In my opinion, if it takes a forum to keep ones interest, maybe building isn't for them. Posting issues can be sorted out. contact an Admin. Getting used to a different format only takes a bit of time. For me, the old site was disjointed. I like this better.

On posting: In the past I have had trouble on other forums. I learned to highlight and copy before I try to post, that way if it goes "poof" I can try again. I understand your frustration.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 30.0 Firefox 30.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
I've tried and tried posting and always end up just deleting it. The preview doesn't work for me either. We only have 385 members and when we left yahoo we were at 1200 or so. How many valuable posts with usefull ideas and comments never get posted?
Jim,

The admonition to cut and paste has come up here before.  If you type out a long post and don't highlight it and save it to your clipboard, you are SOL if you inadvertently leave the page by clicking the back button or your browser freezes or something.  Google "cut and paste"...

The safest way I suppose is to type in a notepad box.  That way you could actually save that to a file on your desktop.  When you have that like you want it you could drag your mouse over the whole post, right click and select cut or copy and then place your cursor in the message box on the forum and right click and select paste.  I never do either and have lost perhaps 2 or three posts in my lifetime.  Those were all on Yahoo groups BTW...  I do use the preview feature at least 10 times every time I post here.  (not available at yahoo)

Also, I suggest a mouse with a wheel.  That makes it easy to scroll the screen.  Many people fail to see the buttons, options, and information boxes available to them.  Steve has been doing this for eons and just got a "real" mouse a month or two ago. 

Perhaps the preview is working but it is at the top of your screen out of view.  Without a wheel mouse you must "grab" the scroll bar on the right (or bottom) and reposition the screen.  A good mouse is everything as far as the web goes...

Steve is en route to Oshkosh as I type, but when he sees this he will attest to the fact that the 1200 members on the yahoo group is very misleading.  That group was founded March 28 2003.  Every one that ever signed up is counted because 99 and 44/100 never take the time to un-join the group.  Some people signed up many many times due to forgetting their password or changing email address.  We have about as many active members here as we did there.

Drop me or Steve a PM if anything specific comes to mind that you think we could shed some light on as far as getting comfortable with this forum software.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:14:50 AM »
A couple thoughts on this subject.

This board, to me, is an improvement over the old Yahoo site.  It took a bit of playing around with it until I found how I like to use it.  And, it is stable.  I use Yahoo mail primarily for email, and, just a few days ago, it somehow changed its method of auto-filling email addresses the in the "to", "cc" and "bcc" boxes.  It was including any similar address it ever saw, but not including some that were in my address book, which were the ones I was trying to include.  You never know how Yahoo is going to "help" you next.

Also, the explanation of seemingly lower member numbers seems to make sense.

But, it also seems that the old Yahoo based forum had more activity, including actual tech info, but also more BS and "scruff and misfits" interchanges.  I suppose that the old forum was more easily responded to via email tools, including phones.

This site makes more tools available to a poster.

IMO, this site is better.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline Sparetime

• 2014 Donor
  • Noob
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.0.2 Safari 5.0.2

Offline rockiedog2

• 2014 Donor
  • Joe Spencer
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »
>>>But, it also seems that the old Yahoo based forum had more activity, including actual tech info, but also more BS and "scruff and misfits" interchanges.

I've posted stupid/controversial BS a number of times trying to get something going...Scruff and Misfit type stuff. Invariably the response has been abject silence. The Scruffs and Misfits are no more. We've turned into a pack of boring dullards instead. Well, we had some good times with all that foolishness we used to carry on...maybe it's just as well the Scruffs and Misfits are dead. Some of us were spending way too much time with that.

Man, Steedman disappeared quick didn't he.

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »
Well, Sparetime, looks like you figured out how to post a link.  Nice stuff, too.

But, who cares that it is included under a totally non-related subject?

Scruffs don't care about details like that - some life still there.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline rockiedog2

• 2014 Donor
  • Joe Spencer
  • Browser:
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »
we need more controversy
and an occasional fuss
Hey Sparetime, Thoum got a little smart with you there...you not gonna let him get away with that are you? Light into him man...

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Scott - aka Slug Musher
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Standard L/E
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »
Scruffs and Misfits still rule..... Awe the good ole days... Come on Joe, you sure you're not gonna make it up this year? The Green Machine still runs right??  Flew the Slug a little today. Man the Engleman Engine is running strong. The New tires changes the trim quite a bit. A fair bit of drag but worth it. That's what they make trim tabs for right....

Offline rockiedog2

• 2014 Donor
  • Joe Spencer
  • Browser:
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 05:05:14 AM »
naw not coming hope to next year. you got several boarders this year right?
that zenith is a torture chamber, not comfortable atall...no way i would fly that thing back up there. put 11.2 on the hobbs getting home last time. all in the same day.  Rockie and i take coffee and breakfast in it at about 200 feet pretty often...ridin and lookin and eating a sausage and biscuit and drinking coffee right after daylight...now it's really good for that. and if you gotta pee just pick a pretty good turnrow and land. nice little plane for that. but no long trips please. when i built it i had in mind flying it out to the Frank Church wilderness in Idaho and all those wild back country strips. so much for that plan
the Scruffs are way marginal nowadays

Offline Sparetime

• 2014 Donor
  • Noob
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.0 Safari 6.0
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 10:08:19 PM »
Wasn't trying to stir things up especially if we're stuck with this software. When preview doesn't preview,  it seems to me, maybe there is a problem.  When only a few members post,  maybe we have a problem. When it's difficult to participate in a forum that relys on participation, maybe we have a problem. Are these problems related?

Maybe?

Jim

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Browser:
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 05:16:37 AM »
Sparetime, you keep on stirring things up.  Be sure to take a shot at Rockiedog every now and then.  He likes it.

All in good fun. 

Folks need to say what is on their mind, either about the site or the airplanes.  Contribute.

If you make enough noise, and you have thick enough skin, you get inducted into the elite Scruffs and Misfits society.  Like I said, all in good fun.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline Sparetime

• 2014 Donor
  • Noob
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.0 Safari 6.0
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »
I may have the only video of Spencer at Oshkosh using Putt Putt to make tooth picks. Somewhere on this hard drive may be the video of Reklaw's famous distributor twister.  Putting a video together of golf carts and eagle wings colliding could possibly be found also..... But figuring out how to post these videos for everyone to enjoy escapes my very few talents.
Then again I may not.

Jim

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.125 Chrome 36.0.1985.125
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »
Your not gonna find no vid of a wing hittin a golf cart 'cause it never happened!

What did that guy with the Kolb use to record his fight video?? Not the on ground stuff, but the in-flight? Recording airspeed, time & GPS??
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »
I may have the only video of Spencer at Oshkosh using Putt Putt to make tooth picks. Somewhere on this hard drive may be the video of Reklaw's famous distributor twister.  Putting a video together of golf carts and eagle wings colliding could possibly be found also..... But figuring out how to post these videos for everyone to enjoy escapes my very few talents.
Then again I may not.

Jim
You get the toothpick vid put together and I guarantee you we can get it posted!   ;)

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal