How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Laser Cut Nose Ribs  (Read 3644 times)

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.101 Chrome 38.0.2125.101
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
Laser Cut Nose Ribs
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:50:27 AM »
Double Eagle Build  DE-69
 Paul Radford – Gold Coast Australia

Monday, October 20, 2014

I am at the point having build my ribs that I am about to launch into the manufacture of the nose ribs. I understand the trusted method of making these is by cutting the blanks and then shaping them with flush trimming bit on the router using an aluminium template, and then boring the lightening holes.

However the other day I was at a factory behind ours as we have been subcontracted to do some work with a graphic design firm. We have a small window furnishings business and can handle fabric jobs of various shapes and sizes.
They required us to help manufacture some fabric sample books for a large manufacturer of luxury yachts based here on the Gold Coast, Australia

When I was on a visit to their factory I could not help spying some of the interesting work they had produced in 3D using all types of base materials and asked how this had been achieved. The answer was simple and surprising, a flatbed CNC Laser cutter. After a tour of the facility, I had a light bulb moment and asked if the machine could cut ¼ inch Birch plywood. Yes was the answer. You can see where this is going.

I showed them my plans to the DE and asked would it be possible to cut the nose ribs this way from a sheet of plywood. Easy, was the answer. The machine should be able to cut all the ribs from one 1200mm X 120mm (4 X 4 feet) sheet of ply. This would also include all the lightning holes and notch for the nose rib stringer.

Excited by the answer I suddenly found myself in a quandary and started to question myself. Should I do this? Is this in the spirit of the build? Would this method be frowned upon by others? Then I thought about it this way. This is an experimental category aircraft so experiments (properly guided and thought through) are OK. I have always enjoyed looking for other solutions and ways to apply technology to an idea. I spoke to a few who had differing opinions but no one canned the idea. So I am going to proceed and explore this option.

I will write a more detailed article and do a small video for this interested in following what i am doing. we have already run some tests and cut a sample rib in MDF (4mm) from a first attempt at tracing the original drawing in Sketchup. This came out well (in 35 seconds). The only issue is that the laser cutter leaves a distinctive burn mark around the edge of the timber, however this can be easily sanded back. This was my only major concern at this stage as i do not want this to effect the glue adherence.

I will post some more information as it comes to hand. In the mean time i have attached a couple of images of the drawings and sample Rib in mdf

cheers Paul

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Laser Cut Nose Ribs
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 04:39:27 AM »
This is an exorbitant violation of the spirit of home-built aircraft.

You should immediately send me your set of nose ribs for proper disposal.  ;D   ;D

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 37.0.2062.124 Chrome 37.0.2062.124
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:12:40 AM »
Haha Sam, no chance :)

Offline MrG

• Builder - Pilot
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.104 Chrome 38.0.2125.104
  • Eagle Type: DE E-77
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
you missed all that fun making them  :)

@Sam - Paul is from Queensland, they need all the help they can up there.  ;D
MrG
Temora Airport  Australia
1st Aussie DE built/flown
19-8866
-----------------------------
1 Oct 2015 First Flight
Feb 2019 - 155 hrs Flown
March 4th removed from service for Cabin Mods

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.101 Chrome 38.0.2125.101
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 03:13:30 PM »
Hey Grant,
you were the one that said go for it !, besides I am not a Queenslander I just live here. Dont the crows fly backwards where you live so they dont get dust in their eyes  ;)

Offline MrG

• Builder - Pilot
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.104 Chrome 38.0.2125.104
  • Eagle Type: DE E-77
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 03:19:08 AM »
saved you a lot of time, wish i did it - they wear sunglasses now  8)
We had a big week down here 2 wings now need fabric ( Spruce and goose ) still waiting for them to ship
fit fuel tanks thur, and paint fuse fri. 
May be up soon ill let you know
MrG
Temora Airport  Australia
1st Aussie DE built/flown
19-8866
-----------------------------
1 Oct 2015 First Flight
Feb 2019 - 155 hrs Flown
March 4th removed from service for Cabin Mods

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal