How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: wing atach brackets XL  (Read 5190 times)

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
wing atach brackets XL
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »
Has anyone changed the angle the 1/8" aluminum brackets bolt onto the spars so you can achieve a little more head room? Anyone see any problems doing so? By bringing the brackets down at an angle it is possible to have the bottom of the wing even with or higher than the center longeron directly above your head. It would be similar to the DE attachments.

Online Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 32.0 Firefox 32.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
Re: wing atach brackets XL
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:08:50 AM »
Gil, one thing to consider is that the force from the normal, positive G wing lift is pushing straight into the fuselage, pretty much in line with the wing spar.  Relatively not too much vertical force at this point.

I have not seen the LEXL plans.  If the fittings are similar to the LEU design, they are straight 1" wide, 1/8" alum strips aligned with the spar, and in line with the primary forces.  If you change the angle of the fittings, they will not be in line with the force, and may not be up to the task.

I don't have the DE plans at hand, but, from memory, the wing root fittings do attach to the spars at a down angle to allow more head room, but are more robust, both in attachment area to the spar and they are steel.  I know the DE is heavier and forces are larger, but similar principles apply.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:26:37 AM »
Tom, the XL brackets are 1/8" 6061 1"wide stock. The DE brackets are steel and much wider. That is one of the first things I noticed about the XL brackets and wondered how they could be so much smaller in size. I can always lower my seat a little to attain more head room
Thanks for the information
gil

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:51:07 PM »
Industriamletalsales.com has 1/8" x 1" x 12" 6061 T6 flat stock for .075 ea.

Offline Mike Gracey

• Beta testers
  • Legal eagle XL
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
I think Sam did something like that to get more head room.  I raised my top tube 2 inchs at both ends and lowered my seat aswell.

Offline Vince Carucci

• EAA 324
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.104 Chrome 38.0.2125.104
    • Legal Eagle T-53
  • Eagle Type: LE: T-53
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 04:25:58 PM »
I've noticed on the LE plans that they call for aluminum mounting brackets for the wings. Is there any concern about the bi-metallic contact where they mount to the fuselage? I thought such a pairing could lead to a condition called galvanic corrosion. There are a few other places were aluminum and steel meet. Has anyone seen this type of corrosion, is painting protection enough, or am I wrong about aluminum and steel mating surfaces?

Vince

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 06:33:13 PM »
I've noticed on the LE plans that they call for aluminum mounting brackets for the wings. Is there any concern about the bi-metallic contact where they mount to the fuselage? I thought such a pairing could lead to a condition called galvanic corrosion. There are a few other places were aluminum and steel meet. Has anyone seen this type of corrosion, is painting protection enough, or am I wrong about aluminum and steel mating surfaces?

Vince
Vince, theoretically you are correct.

Practically...it is a non-issue.....at least within our lifetimes.   ;)

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal