How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Legal Eagle and Chase Cam Youtube video  (Read 5585 times)

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 33.0 Firefox 33.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
Legal Eagle and Chase Cam Youtube video
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:02 PM »
I am getting closer to getting it right and getting a video on how the chase cam is made and installed.  it has been challenging to get the camera tilted correctly so i get the flying machine in top of frame and whats below in lower part of screen.  Have lots of videos of nothing but flying machine, or above and of nothing but below, no flying machine.  Neither views work.

Les Homan

Offline MrG

• Builder - Pilot
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.104 Chrome 38.0.2125.104
  • Eagle Type: DE E-77
Re: Legal Eagle and Chase Cam Youtube video
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:21:45 PM »
thats pretty good
MrG
Temora Airport  Australia
1st Aussie DE built/flown
19-8866
-----------------------------
1 Oct 2015 First Flight
Feb 2019 - 155 hrs Flown
March 4th removed from service for Cabin Mods

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 32.0 Firefox 32.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 06:33:03 AM »
Real neat the way it banks with you in the turns.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:55:04 AM »
Les,

That is a remarkable camera angle and your resourcefulness and perseverance is appreciated!

However....(you knew that was coming) having the camera rig so close to the tail feathers gives me the willies. If for reason the camera rig became unstable it could be disastrous if the rig and line began whipping around in the vicinity of the tail group. I'm sure your intentions are to cut it loose if something goes wrong, but still......Just thinking...and want to encourage everyone to consider all the possible consequences. Stay safe.  :)

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 33.0 Firefox 33.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »
One of the reasons I have not put out a video or shown to much of what i am doing is the possibility of something going wrong.  I have been taking it show and being very careful
with what i am doing. I explore the envelope a little bit at at time.  Anytime pilot is doing anything that takes there attention away from flying chances of a problem increase.  This is not something I recommend or condone, i just saw a powered parachute at oshkosh with a chase cam two years ago and saw the video, Long story but i finally got here so i can do it to.  Still have lots of bugs and operational things to work out but making progress.  A this point in time my chase cam and mounting does not concern me any more than losing and engine mount bolt, losing the engine or loss of engine operation.  That can change in a heart beat as i go further into testing with stalls ETC.  My concern is what is going to happen the first time i get it into the prop-wash, has not happened yet, not to say it won't.
Les Homan

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »
One of the reasons I have not put out a video or shown to much of what i am doing is the possibility of something going wrong.  I have been taking it show and being very careful
with what i am doing. I explore the envelope a little bit at at time.  Anytime pilot is doing anything that takes there attention away from flying chances of a problem increase.  This is not something I recommend or condone, i just saw a powered parachute at oshkosh with a chase cam two years ago and saw the video, Long story but i finally got here so i can do it to.  Still have lots of bugs and operational things to work out but making progress.  A this point in time my chase cam and mounting does not concern me any more than losing and engine mount bolt, losing the engine or loss of engine operation.  That can change in a heart beat as i go further into testing with stalls ETC.  My concern is what is going to happen the first time i get it into the prop-wash, has not happened yet, not to say it won't.
Les, it sounds like you are going about this the right way. I really am intrigued by the camera angles you are getting, it reminds me of what I see when flying in a formation flight with the RV-6.  :)

I had not considered prop wash, that is indeed a sobering thought. I saw a photo in the latest EAA Experimenter of a powered parachute with a chase cam, may have been the same guy you referenced. The chute doesn't have anything for the camera to get tangled up in, so that pilot doesn't have the same concerns we have.

You would think stall characteristics would be similar to what you expect as long as the ball is centered.....but who knows. If the cam line could trail the tailwheel it would reduce the concerns we have, but I don't know how you would retrieve it for landing. Maybe do like glider tow planes and jettison it prior to landing?? Might be hard on the camera, however.  ;)

Anyway, you are getting fantastic video, just continue to fly safely. I think you are wise to not publicize the details, it seems anything we post on the internet will get copied regardless of whether or not the individual understands the homework behind it.

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 37.0.2062.124 Chrome 37.0.2062.124
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:49:05 AM »
Les your videos are Brilliant and getting better all the time, i really enjoy watching them and getting inspired thanks again for sharing

cheers Paul

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal