How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Tube bending How-To's from the EAA archives...  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 32.0 Firefox 32.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)

Offline Murray Randall

• 2015 Donor
  • Murray
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Cabin mod XL
Re: Tube bending How-To's from the EAA archives...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »
Yeah you can use some pretty sophisticated tooling to bend the emp tubes.   In my big airplane life before Eagle, I carefully heated and formed steel tubing around a wood form that always caught fire.   But the Eagle emp tubes can be done manually pulling/pushing around some 1/2-3/4 blocks.   I had some 1/2" alum plates but soft woods work also.
Cabin Mod to XL

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »
Or a 5-gal plastic bucket:

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.111 Chrome 38.0.2125.111
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:31:17 PM »
Hey Sam, I do like the B.U.C.K.E.T method, do you think this would work on a DE which is Chrome Molly or would you get tube collapse ?, In the video Leonard just uses a hole in the bench. just wondering if forming around a bucket might work

cheers Paul

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.0.2 Safari 6.0.2
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 12:35:06 AM »
The Radius of a  bend almost always determines how much leverage you will need  ( you couldn't bend a 1' long tube very easily  around a 6" radius block by hand)
 By having a much longer piece of tubing you gain the needed leverage when using various radius blocks. The tighter the radius the apt to kink/bend incorrect if you don't have shaped blocks.     i.e. - buckets, soft woods, holes in tables.   But for large radius bends these can work nicely.

I don't know if it is in the report, but many times you can mount a very inexpensive EMT bender in a vice, and get some very nice bends.  (using the leverage of your longer tube) A gentle hand helps. And as Leonard shows, very gentle bends at many stations ( every1/8" or similar) 

Best of success!
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 05:58:03 AM »
Hey Sam, I do like the B.U.C.K.E.T method, do you think this would work on a DE which is Chrome Molly or would you get tube collapse ?, In the video Leonard just uses a hole in the bench. just wondering if forming around a bucket might work

cheers Paul
I only know of one way to find the answer to your question....   ;)

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal