How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Black Max wheels with 3/4 axles  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
Black Max wheels with 3/4 axles
« on: October 29, 2014, 06:48:04 PM »
I searched but didn't find a topic in this so here goes. I see where a 3/4 axle is an option for the black max wheel and brake assembly. Is there a reason to go with the bigger axle on my XL? I don't want to come in heavy. I'm not sure what the weight difference is. I plan on landing on grass more that hard surfaces.
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Black Max wheels with 3/4 axles
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 07:01:11 PM »
I searched but didn't find a topic in this so here goes. I see where a 3/4 axle is an option for the black max wheel and brake assembly. Is there a reason to go with the bigger axle on my XL? I don't want to come in heavy. I'm not sure what the weight difference is. I plan on landing on grass more that hard surfaces.
Jim, I think if you bend the 1/2" steel axle your XL gear will already be wadded up into a tight ball......  :)

The spring struts will be a good option.

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 07:15:22 PM »
Unless I read it wrong the standard axle is 5/8. I've never been hard on landing gear so I'll just stay with the standard setup. Maybe I learned something flying an RV 9A with a kick stand for a main wheel. :-) One thing I remember about flying the Airbike was you can see the wheels all the way down to the runway. It was pretty easy not to really screw up a landing.
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 07:21:50 PM »
Yes, 5/8" is standard, my bad.

Yep, you can watch the mains as they approach the runway, pretty easy to avoid a hard landing as long as there is good airspeed management. I suspect those who have wadded up gear legs have let the plane get too slow and dropped it from several feet. It will slow down very quickly if the pilot isn't paying attention.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal