How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: XL-58 is For Sale  (Read 20600 times)

Offline Jerry Carter

• 2014 Donor
  • XL builder
  • Mac OS X 10.10.1 Mac OS X 10.10.1
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
  • Eagle Type: XL
Re: XL-58 is For Sale
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 07:20:56 AM »
Wow, that is so cool! I have to stay focused on the Eagle, but I'm always dreaming of the next project. I've looked at the Acey Deucy, and other similar open-cockpit planes. But the D VII looks pretty easy to build with all those parts supplied for you. A lot easier than a plans-built plane! I bet you could turn one of those out in about 3 months. I wonder about the engine. Do you like that Torque Master engine they sell? They list the Hirth F30 as the recommended engine, but I have very little experience with two-stroke engines.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
Wow, that is so cool! I have to stay focused on the Eagle, but I'm always dreaming of the next project. I've looked at the Acey Deucy, and other similar open-cockpit planes. But the D VII looks pretty easy to build with all those parts supplied for you. A lot easier than a plans-built plane! I bet you could turn one of those out in about 3 months. I wonder about the engine. Do you like that Torque Master engine they sell? They list the Hirth F30 as the recommended engine, but I have very little experience with two-stroke engines.
I'm still in the homework phase (and deciding whether or not I have enough git-up-n-go for a 5th aircraft project...) but the recommended engine seems to be a 2180 VW with the Valley Engineering redrive. That combo will swing an 84" prop and generate over 350 lbs of thrust (!!!).

I think the redrive VW would be a killer combo for a Double Eagle and turn it into a real performer. Might need some longer gear legs....  ;)

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 33.0 Firefox 33.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 05:48:40 AM »
Sam, I agree, a VW w/ redrive swinging a large prop would have the DE jumping off the ground.  Maybe a bit slower cruise, but short field would be no issue.

Someone needs to try it out.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 08:52:14 AM »
Kinda wondering if one of these would be interesting:

Kit has been ordered. Anybody have a good Continental C-90 or O-200 needing a new home?

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal