How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Black Max Vs. 20" Tuff wheels  (Read 7611 times)

Offline Will Weidner

• 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
Black Max Vs. 20" Tuff wheels
« on: December 22, 2014, 05:53:14 AM »
I was wondering what peoples thoughts are about the suitability of Black Max wheels vs. the 20" Tuff wheels.  I have the impression from watching videos that Black Max wheels are preferred by people who fly primarily off paved runways, and the Tuff wheels are used by people who fly off grass runways.  I haven't built the gear yet, but I bought Tuff wheels.   I will be keeping the plane at an airport with a paved runway.  Do any pilots have any thoughts on this based on experience?

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Black Max Vs. 20" Tuff wheels
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:02:30 AM »
I was wondering what peoples thoughts are about the suitability of Black Max wheels vs. the 20" Tuff wheels.  I have the impression from watching videos that Black Max wheels are preferred by people who fly primarily off paved runways, and the Tuff wheels are used by people who fly off grass runways.  I haven't built the gear yet, but I bought Tuff wheels.   I will be keeping the plane at an airport with a paved runway.  Do any pilots have any thoughts on this based on experience?
Will, I have experience with Black Max but not the 20" wheels. But you didn't specify if you only wanted comments from those who have flown both, so here are some thoughts.  :)

1) You will have to decide which you prefer due to aesthetics. Each style gives the XL a different look.

2) The Black Max (BM) wheels work great on pavement and the brakes are a big reason to use them...awesome brakes that are very easy to install and are maintenance-free.

3) BM won't absolutely require spring struts but you will want springs with the cycle wheels.

4) The standard BM tires will get eaten up by pavement. Use the heavier optional tires for pavement. Cycle tire life on pavement???

5) I would be concerned about the higher side loads the cycle wheels will see when you do the swervies on pavement.

Hope this helps. I found Black Max to be an excellent choice on XL-58 for both pavement and grass.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 34.0 Firefox 34.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 07:12:14 AM »
I like the the 20's on grass & dirt but think the Black Max system superior on pavement - I've flown both large & small wheel LE gear... Swervies on pavement with the 20's - Ugh... Small wheel on rough turf will rattle your teeth...

Offline Will Weidner

• 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Browser:
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 07:51:58 AM »
Thanks Sam and Steve. You've kind of confirmed my suspicions about each.  They do have a different look, but the Black Max kind of grows on you.  Since I'll be flying off a paved runway, I think I'll go with Black Max for now.  Eliminating the springs and keeping tire pressure on the low side seems like a good solution.  I can build up a gear for the 20" wheels later if I find myself wanting to land mostly on grass.

Sam,  I'm glad your sticking around on the Eaglersnest.  Us newcomers really benefit from the wisdom of people like you and Steve.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
  I can build up a gear for the 20" wheels later if I find myself wanting to land mostly on grass.
Absolutely--modularity is an advantage of a simple airplane!

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »
I fly entirely off pavement with my 20" Huffy's and they have stood the test of x-wind pretty well! I do taxi out around in the turf and also find the ride a bit jarring but manageable. I made a few off-field turf landings and didn't even notice the ride. I was more happy to get it down without incidence!
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline Will Weidner

• 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:53:41 AM »
I've seen your videos, you plane seems to do very well on pavement.  I think one of the important things to make the tuff wheels work good on pavement is to have perfectly aligned axles, no toe in or toe out.  You must have achieved that.

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »
I KNOW for a fact that my axle's are far from being perfect! maybe the toe-in/toe-out is OK but the caster (up & down) has changed.  I am needing to tweak them down a little from the rough arrivals!
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal