How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: The Neirrh XXL  (Read 5382 times)

Offline Sam Buchanan

The Neirrh XXL
« on: December 24, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »
Ran across this interesting build log. Me thinks the builder has a habit of overthinking but still some clever stuff:

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/member-project-logs/18737-neirrh-xxl-build.html

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 34.0 Firefox 34.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: The Neirrh XXL
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »
Ran across this interesting build log. Me thinks the builder has a habit of overthinking but still some clever stuff:

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/member-project-logs/18737-neirrh-xxl-build.html
Gotta respect those 4'x8' CAD/CAM innovators: Many are done with off the shelf Software & Hardware from multiple vendors... A new class of Technician/Hobbyist is emerging (TT) "Technology Translator"...

Sure would be nice to see a TT tackle the the steel tube coping and flat pieces for the CE and the rest of the Eagle family (open-source ofcourse)... Just think what a router or better a water cutter would do on the signature Milholland strips seat...

Offline Fritz

• Beta testers
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 05:05:25 PM »
Sam nailed it, I do over-think things. But this jig is one of the few times I didn't over think it. If you compare apples to apples this jig didn't take any longer to design, cut and build as a conventional "cut and fit as you go" jig. In fact it probably went faster. And judging from a few youtube videos I've seen on jigging an LE fuselage it went a LOT faster.

The down side is you need a lot of expensive software and hardware to do it. ...but that's a whole 'nother hobby so it was money well spent.

Steve brought up a good point: by adding one these the same machine could precision cope/fishmouth all the tubes for an LE in a few hours. Combine those tubes with a precision jig and you could save a whole lot of time. ...then add a "snap together" wing (photo section on this forum;)

To each their own, but for me figuring out how to build something is as much fun as building it.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »
To each their own, but for me figuring out how to build something is as much fun as building it.
I can appreciate that. Well done.  :)

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.99 Chrome 39.0.2171.99
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 02:20:26 AM »
Gee, now i don't feel so guilt about Laser cuttin, my nose ribs ! :)

Offline MrG

• Builder - Pilot
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.99 Chrome 39.0.2171.99
  • Eagle Type: DE E-77
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »
As a metal guy the jig would of took me 3 times longer then hand doing the fuse.
I could see that would make someones life so much easier if they were not a welder
Also need a notcher - Awesome Jig well done
MrG
Temora Airport  Australia
1st Aussie DE built/flown
19-8866
-----------------------------
1 Oct 2015 First Flight
Feb 2019 - 155 hrs Flown
March 4th removed from service for Cabin Mods

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal