How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Wing construction  (Read 6141 times)

Offline JohnS

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
Wing construction
« on: January 08, 2015, 01:13:57 PM »
Hi All,

Just received XL ser. # E-12 plans and looking forward to getting started. 

I think I see the answer in the forums but I just want to confirm the spar webs are spliced by butt block, not scarfed. And the spar caps are not scarfed either if you have to use more than one piece. I will probably try to do it anyway if I can make an effective jig, but I want to be sure it's not mandatory.

Also, I have build a few boats and that glass/epoxy experience makes me want to use a light biaxial cloth and epoxy on the spar webs to add some strength at a small weight cost. Is this a bad idea for any reason if it is not a big weight penalty. And on the leading edge am I understanding correctly that the plywood seams are butted up and splitting the 1/4" nose ribs. It seems impossible without having tried it.

This will be my first plane and I'm not familiar with the conventions when it comes to building. I am far less likely to try something without supporting opinions than I would be with a boat. 

Thanks,

John

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
Re: Wing construction
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
Hi John,

I have just started my Spars for the DE, Due to transport, the spar caps were ordered in 2 pieces, so they need to be spliced. Minimum 10 to 1 , but Ideally 12 to 1. Mine  are coming out at about 11.5 to 1. Leonard talks about this in the plans.

The webs are but joined on the spar intercostals. Cant make any comment on firbre glassing the webs, I am not doing this and do not see anyone else has.

have fun and regards Paul

Offline mike ketteman

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: LE
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »
for the joint of the nose ply,put a 3/8x3/8 strip of balsa on each side of nose rib,lots of glue surface.no weight.    get3/8 balsa at hobby store
slapping the air with eagle since 09/2016

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »
Welcome to the Eagle Forum John!

The plywood is butt jointed at a rib location.

The Spruce for the spar caps can be had from Aircraft Spruce or, as I was fortunate enough, contact a local specialty lumber yard. It's less than half price from the lumberyard but you will need a plainer and table saw to get it to proper dimension. This is easily purchased full length, especially from the lumber yard. the boards I purchased were 16' long.
Frank

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »
Hi All,

Just received XL ser. # E-12 plans and looking forward to getting started.

I think I see the answer in the forums but I just want to confirm the spar webs are spliced by butt block, not scarfed. And the spar caps are not scarfed either if you have to use more than one piece. I will probably try to do it anyway if I can make an effective jig, but I want to be sure it's not mandatory.

I would STRONGLY SUGGEST to make the spar caps one piece and if impossible, YES! DO SCARF the joints on the Spar Caps!!!
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline lake_harley

• Noob
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »
JohnS....I sent a PM. I'm new here, so don't know if PMs show up very obvious or not.

Lynn

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal