How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Full Size Rib Pattern  (Read 11225 times)

Offline John Harmon

• Building XL and 1/2 VW
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
    • My Builders BLOG
  • Eagle Type: Eagle XL
Full Size Rib Pattern
« on: January 09, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »
Does anyone know if the full size wing rib is still available from Leonard? Has anyone tried taping together the pages?
JH
John Harmon
XL-D-06

Offline Mike Gracey

• Beta testers
  • Legal eagle XL
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: XL
Re: Full Size Rib Pattern
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 12:19:34 PM »
I just taped the pages together and made sure the measurement were right.

XL Builder

Offline Jerry Carter

• 2014 Donor
  • XL builder
  • Mac OS X 10.10.1 Mac OS X 10.10.1
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0.2 Safari 8.0.2
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »
John, I guess you probably know that the full size wing rib drawing is larger than the spar. This has been beat to death, but it never hurts to remind rib builders to check the spar measurements in the drawings.

Offline John Harmon

• Building XL and 1/2 VW
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.93 Chrome 39.0.2171.93
    • My Builders BLOG
  • Eagle Type: Eagle XL
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 05:06:27 PM »
thank you Jerry
John Harmon
XL-D-06

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.6 Safari 6.1.6
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 11:35:22 AM »
As Jerry said this has been beat to death of course, but with my back ground, I decided a perfectly CAD  spline- generated full size drawing would be an excellent start.   Absolutely nothing wrong with what has been supplied because at its present speed, I doubt if anyone could tell the difference in minor details of speed gain or loss.

So I just decided, to get the best that I could do, I was going to start with large prints and create full size drawings- Please understand these are supplemental drawings, they will not build your entire plane but are intended to take a great deal of calculation guess work out of your XL build.

I will rely on others opinions as to the worth of them, but have always offered money back if they are not completely satisfied in the quality and completeness of these drawings.    6  24x36” sheets showing all internal parts full scale, and 2 full size rib drawings, one with leading edge, one without. Either one will work as rib building jig block guide.  These also show in detail the cove area just in front of the aileron. 

I have done these at cost of printing and shipping.  (yes the shipping is in the price)  $32.95 until the next US postal price increase. Or printing increase in price. 99% send a check for said amount. I send as soon as I get the check.  1 3 6 3 1 vail ave,  Clarksville,  IA 50619 

Hope this helps.

Scott Weinberg.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline macca

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 9.0 MS Internet Explorer 9.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 04:10:52 AM »
Hello there John, Macca in Australia this end ,I just bought the full lenght rib drawing from Leonard a month or so ago send him an email he will answer you . Keep safe in your endeavours Macca.:)
Toofubartooften

Offline Mike Gracey

• Beta testers
  • Legal eagle XL
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 05:20:04 PM »
Save yourself some time and buy the wing plans from Scott they are very well done he also sold me metal templates for the wing parts that saved me a lot of time. Not sure if he is still making those.

Mike
XL Builder

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 05:02:10 AM »
Save yourself some time and buy the wing plans from Scott they are very well done he also sold me metal templates for the wing parts that saved me a lot of time. Not sure if he is still making those.

Mike
XL Builder
 Thanks Mike,
     I am still providing the supplemental plans for the wings and still doing for cost of printing and shipping.  $32.95  Like Mike said, the metal router parts save a great deal of time, but in the end, many have made a wood pattern and routed out the “perfect” pattern and followed suit for the rest. All comes down to time- and I guess money.  Often have had the talk about airplane building and brain thinking… simply being if you want to spend enough time and effort, you can get most anything done for $1.00-$4.00 per hour.

I still make subtle updates to the plans and it has been brought to my attention that how the lift strut straps bolt on, could be shown even better. (this was not really shown on the very early supplemental sheet-2)  I have that drawn pretty good now, and just wondering the best way to show this.   

A new subject line?  On my site? attempt on this site with a link to mine?  I guess I will wait for some feed back from you folks.

The POINT of the “attention” that I’m showing is if you do like many and put the  holes in the straps  and lay them on the spars and don’t really watch where these are going, (measuring)   you can easily drill a hole in your lower spar cap.  That does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. The fix is easy with a bit of planning. Just saying!

Scott- 
      I will check back in a few days and see what you folks think is best. Then will respond with my plan.

Offline steelsurgeon

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 38.0 Firefox 38.0
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 04:43:21 PM »
Scott;

I am building my rib jig for the DE and notice that the one piece sketch of the rib has a 1/8" concave arc in it.
Is the bottom of the rib straight or does it have an arc??

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
Scott;

I am building my rib jig for the DE and notice that the one piece sketch of the rib has a 1/8" concave arc in it.
Is the bottom of the rib straight or does it have an arc??
While I have not spent any time looking over the DE plans, or the wing ribs.  What I showed was the XL wing rib, and that I think you will find is flat at least between the two spars. Of course starting flush at the bottom of the rear of the lower cap strip, (front spar) and going back to the rear spar, it is still flat with the lower cap strip, exactly 1/4” higher to allow the rib to fit correctly.

One of the reasons I did the full size drawings were some folks wanted more precise “pattern” to make the jig with.  With my background in CAD and full scale printing, that is how it come about.

I am not sure from where your determining this 1/8” concave arc, but if taped together drawings, I would check to see if it is suppose to be flat or like what your seeing.  As shown above, I am not sure on that wing.   Hope I didn’t muddle the water to much.

Scott

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal