How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Wing mounts and setting top tube spacing.  (Read 5896 times)

Offline Jeff XL79

Wing mounts and setting top tube spacing.
« on: January 18, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »
My wings are built and have the correct spacing as shown in the plans between the spars. My attachment brackets on the wings are approx 28.25" apart center to center. If the top tube has the cabane attachment center to center at 29", how do the attachment square tubes get set to compensate for the offset. I would assume that the center to center would be the same to keep the load over the cabanes. I Java looked at Scott Weinberg's drawings and many photos but could still use some clarification. 
I have not attached the front cabanes yet and am waiting until I sort this out. I am also trying to make sure my cg is still within spec when finished.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff
XL79

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Wing mounts and setting top tube spacing.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:17:25 PM »
My wings are built and have the correct spacing as shown in the plans between the spars. My attachment brackets on the wings are approx 28.25" apart center to center. If the top tube has the cabane attachment center to center at 29", how do the attachment square tubes get set to compensate for the offset. I would assume that the center to center would be the same to keep the load over the cabanes. I Java looked at Scott Weinberg's drawings and many photos but could still use some clarification.
I have not attached the front cabanes yet and am waiting until I sort this out. I am also trying to make sure my cg is still within spec when finished.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff
XL79
Jeff, I suspect each XL is unique in this regard. I located the attachments "inside" the cabanes so a gusset could go from the cabanes to the attach fitting on top of the longeron. This is difficult to describe, you can sorta see it here:

Offline Jeff XL79

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
Thanks Sam. That is what I suspected. Just wanted to be sure I had considered the options. 

Just as an addition to this topic , has anyone used 1" 4130 square stock for the wing mounts and if so what wall thickness. It's some possible material I already have.

Thanks gents

Jeff

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.6 Safari 6.1.6
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 04:45:08 AM »
Jeff, did you come to a conclusion for your wing question?  I have to admit, I got a bit lost in your question as I was trying to figure out what “off-set” would be encountered?  Probably just me.

Scott
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Jeff XL79

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:58:05 AM »
What Sam had concluded was that the wing mounts would have to be fit to the wing and the end position may not be directly over the cabanes. 

Jeff

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.6 Safari 6.1.6
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 07:21:47 AM »
What Sam had concluded was that the wing mounts would have to be fit to the wing and the end position may not be directly over the cabanes.

Jeff
Oh  yes, certainly when an aircraft is built in a “build to match the already built part” such as the legal eagle XL or similar aircraft are. That is absolutely the best way.  Thus getting the major parts exactly where you want them, and then establish the connecting parts.

Looks like your good to go!

Scott
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal