How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: mobile engine test stand.  (Read 3066 times)

Offline docmatt

• doc matt
  • 2015 Donor
  • DE E-04 under construction
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
  • Eagle Type: DE
mobile engine test stand.
« on: February 06, 2015, 05:23:37 PM »
Things are kinda' quiet around here, so I thought I post some of my daydreams and musings to generate some entertainment for lurkers and posters alike.

I was thinking it would be useful and fun to put an engine mount on something like a Bugatti kit car and use it to test engines and props.  Safer than doing it in the air, and probably more useful than static pull tests.  Acceleration runs and hill climbs would approximate climb performance, cruise speed approximates cruise speed.  I think I could get something like that registered in Wisconsin.  If not, I know I could get away with doing runs up and down my road. ( A nearby neighbor used to test his stock car!)  Main disadvantage is the time involved, would distract me from the airplane build.  Would be a nice thing to share among several builders.  Am I nuts?  OK, but how bad?
doc matt
DE E-04 under construction
Mineral Point, WI

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 35.0 Firefox 35.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
Re: mobile engine test stand.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
 I was thinking it would be useful and fun to put an engine mount on something like a Bugatti kit car and use it to test engines and props.
Valley Engineering tested their vw redrives first on airboats and then on a propeller driven dune buggy...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal