How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Range Maps  (Read 32443 times)

Offline Keith

• Rookie
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.111 Chrome 40.0.2214.111
  • Eagle Type: SD-1 Minisport
Range Maps
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
So I've been playing around in QGIS http://www.qgis.org trying to figure out LEU ranges, I took the 170 mile estimate on the Wikipedia page, shaved off a 50 mile "running on empty or headwind" buffer (the yellow/red regions) and assumed 120 miles would be a "safe travel distance" (this is just an estimate of mine, and most likely incorrect) but its the green area, the blue is the 60-mile presumably "safe" zone (there and back?). I took my town of Lompoc, CA and Les Homan's home airport of Oakdale, CA as a hypothetical path (I adore his videos, they are a HUGE inspiration to finally build!) - just to see where I would technically need to stop and refuel at (ie. Kingcity, Coalinga, or Harris Ranch) since they seem to be the airport points in between both locations. Granted I am still missing aspects of a normal sectional chart, I think my next test would be to bring in the tile set from the FAA and just overlay these range buffers over the completed sectionals.

So what should I refine? What numbers need tweaking? How do pilots usually do this sort of thing (I am beyond amateur) - I am a GIS Analyst by trade (ie. Map Maker) so this is the only way I know how to tackle the question. I am open to any and all advice, or requests for a map of their own :)

Offline Keith

• Rookie
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
Re: Range Maps
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:19:30 AM »
I think I fixed the broken image link, I guess Google wasn't playing nice. Sorry about that.

Offline stevejahr

• Still dreamin'
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.115 Chrome 40.0.2214.115
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:49:41 AM »
Have to ask: have you had any aviation training? (it sounds like no?)

So I understand that FAR part 103 does not require anything of the pilot.  And in many areas you can go up and smash bugs just fine with nothing more than knowing that stuff gets bigger when you push the stick forward and smaller when you pull it back.  But for travelling by airplane it is a good idea to have some education in things aviation. 

The "VFR sectional" is your friend here.  When plotting a cross country course you want to do several things like avoid restricted airspace.  The VFR sectional will help you do this.  It will show items of interest for navigation and flight.  Things like distinguish airports with services like fuel from airports without services.  Things like notable waypoints so you can track your progress and determine if you have a headwind reducing your range or a tailwind increasing it.  There is a LOT of information on a VFR sectional once you learn to read and understand all the symbology.

You may want to check in your area... I found that a local community college offered a very inexpensive aviation ground school class.  I used it as a stepping stone to a private pilot license but it would be quite useful even without going through all the flight training for a private ticket.

Offline Keith

• Rookie
  • Browser:
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »
Have to ask: have you had any aviation training? (it sounds like no?)

Correct, though I do have some conceptual training through the Civil Air Patrol (back from my High School days), I did mention that I was an amateur. I also mentioned in my original post the VFR Sectional as an underlay to the range maps. A sectional will not tell you flat-out what your range is or where ideal intersection points are between fueling stops (though you could break out a ruler and figure it out by hand). I think I am far more curious if the 170 mile range is accurate, what rules of thumb Legal Eagle pilots go by for fuel calculations and range, and what amount of fuel is ideal to have left over for flight planning. I made some estimate assumptions and wanted clarification more than anything :)

Our local airport director is seated two cubicles away from me, he suggested I attend an EAA meeting and getting in touch with the local airport community. I've been waiting on a hangar for a year now so I could start building, so I have several more months until I even get to the point of flying. In the meantime I am asking questions, watching Les Homan's excellent videos, and counting the minutes go by. Thank you for the feedback Steve.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.6 Safari 6.1.6
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »
 Some thoughts below in RED for Kieth and all.

Correct, though I do have some conceptual training through the Civil Air Patrol (back from my High School days), I did mention that I was an amateur. I also mentioned in my original post the VFR Sectional as an underlay to the range maps. A sectional will not tell you flat-out what your range is or where ideal intersection points are between fueling stops (though you could break out a ruler and figure it out by hand).  I guess I would add in a few other things, such as dos your winds allow you to fly as far as you want, each time you go.  Simple reason being, you may average 2-3 hours of nice flying for a Legal Eagle if started early am, but if you “normally have higher the balance of the day” you may not like to progress back home.   This would also be a point to toss in,  with no training or past flying experience, do  you like to do the “rough air flying” that  you may likely experience if going further from home with hopes of returning each day?  I’m not scolding, just saying, you may want to know more now rather than “much” later on after your build.
 I think I am far more curious if the 170 mile range is accurate, what rules of thumb Legal Eagle pilots go by for fuel calculations and range, and what amount of fuel is ideal to have left over for flight planning. I made some estimate assumptions and wanted clarification more than anything :) Fairly simple, 5 gal, decided by estimated fuel burn per hour, times estimated speed.  i.e.  5 divided by 2.5 for 2 hours time 60  would be 120 miles with NO reserve.  Little changes make big difference.  Fuel is only limited by locations in which you can get it.  Distance traveled by the same.  If you can keep getting it, you can keep going.

Our local airport director is seated two cubicles away from me, he suggested I attend an EAA meeting and getting in touch with the local airport community.always a good idea I've been waiting on a hangar for a year now so I could start building,sure don’t need a hanger to start building, in fact I would estimate a far higher amount of birds were built out of garage type locations than hangers and then assembled at the airport.
 so I have several more months until I even get to the point of flying.or years.  In the meantime I am asking questions, watching Les Homan's excellent videos, and counting the minutes go by.  questions are always good.
 Keep on with the dream Kieth, you got some great country to fly in…Best of success.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Keith

• Rookie
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »
Thank you Scott! That is an excellent break down on what to expect - I wonder how they got 170 out of what should be a 120 mile range?
Do you guys normally plan on 2-hour flight times (if you're going somewhere and not just touch and goes)?

I got on my local EAA chapter (275) mailing list today, our airport director thinks they may have a spot for me in April, I live in an apartment so I'd need a place to work (I don't know anyone with a garage in town yet that would be willing to let me make a plane LOL). This is all very exciting ;D

Offline Keith

• Rookie
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:30:18 PM »
Map with 120 mile ranges:  25 miles till empty in red, 70-95 miles in yellow, 35-70 miles in Green, 0-35 in blue (safe there and back)
Are those okay numbers to go with?

Offline Richfroh

• Rich Frohmiller
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »
You don't need a hangar or a garage to start building. Start with the wing ribs. You will only need a small space on a table.
Rich Frohmiller

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:40:48 PM »
Regards range. I use average of 2.4 gallons per hour at 3000 rpm. If I push it up to 3200 it can go to 2.7.  In a no wind situation, which happens for maybe 10 days out of the year here in northern Ca I can see 55 ground speed at 3000 rpm, the rest of the year it varies, 30 mph ground speed is not uncommon 45 to 48 better Planning and with a tailwind I have seen as high as 78 mph ground speed a trip I make quite often is Oakdale to Rio Vista. To stay legal you cannot fly over cities, Stockton, so you go north north west then turn west distance on map about 57 miles. Several times going it has been 1.8 hrs, best time 1.4 hours. On the other hand coming home about 55 minutes with playing in delta, same distance or more.  Longest single hop I have made was 85 miles in 1.8 hours, not much fuel left at end of 1.8 hours. Large differance between th erotica land reality. Better plan on fuel stops about 1 to 1.4 hours and allow for all variations. I have the 45 hp version of 1/2VW with dual munki I carbs running just below 1400 EGT and 350 chat with 250 Jett's.  Smaller engines and different props wipe affect all this data. Lower RPM will make big differance. Only way to know for sure is to fly actual machine data is to be gathered for under actual conditions and keep records
Les Homan

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Mac OS X 10.10.2 Mac OS X 10.10.2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.115 Chrome 40.0.2214.115
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 09:45:43 PM »
By all means start building your ribs.  Look through the drawings, there are lots of small parts that you can start making.  One part a day will get it done.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.6 Safari 6.1.6
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 06:05:35 AM »
Keith,  I think you  received excellent information from Les and Charles on flying away from home and the build process.  Hard to beat numbers like Les provided and frankly your circles are just dreams for a year or two until you have really felt comfortable with your bird.  But don’t let the stop you, I think you will find many telling an hour of flying your bird around home is a excellent hour indeed.

And has Charles eluded to, there are so many parts you will have to make and can easily do at home… no matter how small of an apartment.  Simply no way to get around making the gussets, and this can be done at the kitchen table and put into small baggies or tuppaware tubs.  You can preplan  the amounts of each you will need.

I provided a pdf sheet in the down load section that will show these drawn out, (but not the number you need of each) This will print very closely to 1-1 as it is full scale and there are measurements on the the sheet so you know it is printed correctly to scale.  We have found once your rib jig is made, you can build one rib in the jig in the morning, pull it out in the evening and do back side, and or even build another in the evening.  Thus giving you 1 rib or 2 ribs per day, each taking only 30 minutes to complete, Again all at the kitchen table or small table in the living room.  A really good feeling.

Best of success!
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Keith

• Rookie
  • Browser:
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »
Thank you everyone for the awesome feedback. The only reason I haven't made ribs is that I looked into a kit from John Bolding - is it better to buy the materials kit and start on ribs first, and then order the welded frame? I put in my order for the plans this week and should hopefully get it in the mail in a couple weeks :)

For fun I have taken what I know of Les Homan's videos and what he wrote below to come up with an estimated route map (that avoids flying over cities) is this about right? Les, if you have GPS paths saved (gpx format preferred) I can map out the actual routes that you fly :)

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »
Check put skyvector.comand loor at there sectoinals. Ultralights to be legal have to avoid all the cities in yellow. Actually gives more room than the map but course is one i generally fly going to Rio Vista
Les Homan

Offline Keith

• Rookie
  • Browser:
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 02:44:43 PM »
Check put skyvector.comand loor at there sectoinals. Ultralights to be legal have to avoid all the cities in yellow. Actually gives more room than the map but course is one i generally fly going to Rio Vista

Ah the spaghetti map ;)

Offline Keith

• Rookie
  • Browser:
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 03:24:53 PM »
So I think what I am taking away from all this, is that under common flight conditions I should expect a 60 mile range. Obviously there are a ton of factors that influence range, but based on Les's experience and some previous comments that sounds about right for 5-gallons and flying with headwind.

My range map keeps getting smaller and smaller, but it's better to be accurate :)

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal