How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Range Maps  (Read 32440 times)

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 36.0 Firefox 36.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
Re: Range Maps
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2015, 04:21:34 PM »
 He also debunked the myth that the yellow areas were ever used for night flying - saying that was never the case. :)

This is straight from the p.29:
The yellow depictions on FAA sectionals represent populated areas in one of 3 categories.

• Category 1: Large cities
  • Category 2: Cities and large towns
  • category 3: Towns and villages

Towns and villages are a small circle, (so small it is hard to tell if they are yellow, but they are.)  Cities and large towns are a yellow rectangle and Large cities are noticeably yellow in color and are supposed to have the general shape of the city at night.

Please find below an FAA map maker's comments on another forum...

mad_c  Guest  
There is no explicit explanation saying "we use yellow because...". The reason for this color being chosen is really not known. They've been doing it since day one on sectionals (Late 60's for Washington, for example). It was established by the powers that were, at that time...Dept of Commerce...FAA....Military, and whoever else was involved. As Jeff said, there is no authoritative source saying that yellow mimics light...not even in our specs.

That being said, we're left to our logical explanations for them choosing yellow...which was touched upon in this thread....mainly due to light emitted from populated places. I personally believe they chose yellow because it best mimics light emitted from these populated places...at night in particular.

With regards to the outlines of these populated areas & cities, we do update them as often as possible. This is primarily done thru satellite imagery. The frequency of these updates depends of how often we get updated imagery. And its nothing fancy...we dont have any special sources providing this for us. Personally...I use google earth for my chart *shrug*..Others use Terraserver...some use Globe Explorer. Quite often we cross reference these sources as well. I have been on a test team to try using imagery from other sources coupled through our GIS software...so other options are still in the works.

Also, we have our flight edit program. These guys fly around in a King Air and verify what we have charted, including city tint/outlines. If they see populated areas that are in need of updating, they give us a rough depiction of what the area should look like.

For the those interested, check out the city tint/outline for Harrisonburg, VA on the next edition. It's gotten much bigger based on the latest imagery I received, and has been changed accordingly. I'm gonna post a screen shot of the change I called for. And this was based on the latest imagery from Google Earth, so you can actually see my reasoning for doing such.

Chart change:
 http://i14.tinypic.com/4ujs5y9.jpg

Based upon:
 http://i19.tinypic.com/4umz67s.jpg

*FYI, for the local guys, or anyone using the washington secional:
 The 82nd Edition will be delayed until August 30th. So you can ignore the expiration date of 8/2. A notice will be published. And NO, the new, delayed chart WILL NOT have the new ADIZ...go figure

I'll bet my money that they will make the changes shortly after August 30th...and have to re-issue the chart

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Keith

• Rookie
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 41.0.2272.89 Chrome 41.0.2272.89
  • Eagle Type: SD-1 Minisport
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2015, 05:51:41 PM »
Cities and large towns are a yellow rectangle and Large cities are noticeably yellow in color and are supposed to have the general shape of the city at night.

Yeah I saw that mad_C quote on the Student Pilot forums from several years ago (the tinyurl links have been broken for awhile). The FAA confirmed with me over the phone that the yellow is populated areas are based on city urban area shape, and that indeed they haven't been updated in 30-40 years. Only through confirmation flights as mad_c mentions. Budget cuts have really done a disservice to everyone in the aviation industry (personal opinion of course).

As for street light color, yellow is only found in low-pressure sodium lights, high-pressure sodium street lights are peach in color, and the newer LED lights going across the country are a barely blueish white. I used to be the GIS assistant for our cities Electrical Division so I am pretty familiar with them. I just find it interesting that the myth keeps propagating when it shouldn't. Cities have grown so much in the past 30-40 years that trying to use such old areas doesn't help. I really do hope they are able to utilize the Census data, granted its only updated once every 10 years, but its far more accurate than 30-40 years  :)

I don't know whats up with the TIGER FTP server, their web-server seems to work fine though, just click the drop-down menu to select the "Urban Areas"
http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/geo/shapefiles2014/main

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 36.0 Firefox 36.0
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »
Over, and out...

Offline Keith

• Rookie
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: SD-1 Minisport
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2015, 02:33:55 PM »
Just got confirmation that the official sectionals will be based on the lower resolution of the one I suggested. "The cartographic boundary files are simplified representations of selected geographic areas from the Census Bureau’s MAF/TIGER geographic database."
https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/cbf/cbf_ua.html ~8 MB (much smaller download) This link should work unlike the FTP one posted earlier that was session-dependent (sorry guys).

I went to my local EAA meeting (chapter 275) on Saturday. I mentioned my map project and the FAA and they recommended that I get them to update the skydive location (the VFR was only showing their auxiliary site). Skydive Santa Barbara operates out of Lompoc with jumps as high as 18,000 feet https://www.skydivesantabarbara.com/
They also screened the documentary "Flying the Feathered Edge" about Bob Hoover http://www.thebobhooverproject.com/ (I highly recommend it, I am sure several of you have probably seen Bob fly). Such an amazing life! :)
I also showed them the Legal Eagle plans I just got in the mail, to my surprise the builders knew of the Legal Eagle, they echoed everyone on here's concern about getting the ribs done as a priority.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2015, 08:34:14 PM »
Does anyone still use sectionals?? Anyone except primary students, that is? Usage dropped off so much the FAA drastically changed their chart sales model a few years ago.

I have one in the RV-6, think it is from 2005 or something like that....didn't use it when it was new.....

GPS and portable databases in iPads, phones, etc have pretty much made all the sectional talk a moot point. I can't imagine anyone navigating by city lights on a chart!

Offline Aerodude45

• Improving
  • Mac OS X 10.10.2 Mac OS X 10.10.2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.81 Chrome 43.0.2357.81
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2015, 03:01:32 PM »
What is glare like for a tablet in an open-cockpit legal eagle? Is it still pretty readable dawn-to-dusk?

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2015, 03:15:25 PM »
Don't know about tablet but no problem reading iphone screen
Les Homan

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.18 Chrome 44.0.2403.18
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2015, 03:56:02 PM »
What is glare like for a tablet in an open-cockpit legal eagle? Is it still pretty readable dawn-to-dusk?

If your tablet is Android here is a very awesome nav package totally free...    Apple and maps?  They almost went broke with that dint they?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ds.avare&hl=en

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal