How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Wing Rib Trick  (Read 9426 times)

Offline Bob Sommers

• BOB
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
Wing Rib Trick
« on: April 28, 2015, 03:40:55 PM »
Here is i neat trick i stumbled upon. Instead of stapling then having to pull the staples, try using little paper alligator clips to hold the gussets in place. It saves a lot of time.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.6 Safari 6.1.6
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
Re: Wing Rib Trick
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 04:45:04 AM »
Here is i neat trick i stumbled upon. Instead of stapling then having to pull the staples, try using little paper alligator clips to hold the gussets in place. It saves a lot of time.
How are you holding everything in place, including the bow of the rib, and  putting  your alligator clips on? Ensuring nothing moves? Very curious.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Bob Sommers

• BOB
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 07:40:59 AM »
Well, what i do is put a dab of glue on the end of the capstrip and then glue the rib together in the jig. Then i can pop the rib out and glue on the gussets. Some people may see the glueing of the rib as a waste of time and an unnecessary step. The way I look at it, it only takes two minutes to glue the rib and i can do something else plane related while the glue is drying. Also, this trick is still useful even if you staple the gussets on the rib in the jig because you can use it for the opposite side when you pop the rib out. This would cut your staple removing time in half.

Offline Will Weidner

• 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 09:07:30 AM »
Bob, you have to be careful with that approach on the front of the rib where it mates with the front spar.  There is curvature built into the cap strip that is held that way by the gusset.  As long as you hold the curvature until the gusset is glued on you should be good.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 12:11:38 PM »
Well, what i do is put a dab of glue on the end of the capstrip and then glue the rib together in the jig. Then i can pop the rib out and glue on the gussets. Some people may see the glueing of the rib as a waste of time and an unnecessary step. The way I look at it, it only takes two minutes to glue the rib and i can do something else plane related while the glue is drying. Also, this trick is still useful even if you staple the gussets on the rib in the jig because you can use it for the opposite side when you pop the rib out. This would cut your staple removing time in half.
Ok, am more curious,  so your doing this dab of glue thing on every piece (where surface ends touch)  and then pop out in a couple of minutes? or glue this in the jig and then take out the next day?   if the first-What kind of glue are  you using?,   doing the opposing side gussets with the clamps sounds good.

Offline Bob Sommers

• BOB
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »
Ok, am more curious,  so your doing this dab of glue thing on every piece (where surface ends touch)  and then pop out in a couple of minutes? or glue this in the jig and then take out the next day?   if the first-What kind of glue are  you using?,   doing the opposing side gussets with the clamps sounds good.
I  am using tight bond iii for the ribs and t88 for the spars and whatnot. The soonest that i have popped the rib out of the jig was a couple hours. But i usually let them set overnight. I have a schedual where i come home from work, glue the gussyt on last nights rib. And then put a new rib in the jig. So im making one a day. Some days when it is rainy i will get two done. But yes i just glue the capstrips on the ends where the connect. That extra dab of glue on the ends may even strengthen the ribs beyond what gussets may supply.

Offline Mrbill

• Mr. Bill
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 7.0 MS Internet Explorer 7.0
  • Eagle Type: XL - E-47
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 09:04:46 AM »
My plans are on the way and I'm starting with the ribs. I have a question though.  Do you mark the capstrips to determine where the intersections go?  Or how do you determine where they go if it's not in the jig?

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 05:55:27 PM »
My plans are on the way and I'm starting with the ribs. I have a question though.  Do you mark the capstrips to determine where the intersections go?  Or how do you determine where they go if it's not in the jig?
I don’t know of any successful way of building wood ribs - NOT IN THE JIGG-   actually, the only marks you would be making, would be where you want to cut your pieces.  With right jig, you should be able to get to 30 minutes a rib.  At least that is what we did and many others reported.

Best of success.

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 37.0 Firefox 37.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 05:19:48 AM »
Mrbill,
Your wing rib jig should have locator blocks for every piece of the rib.  Even the diagonals and interstitials have blocks that locate them within the rib.  That way, every rib is exactly like the others. 

After the capstrips are fit and located in the jig, the various other parts are cut and trimmed to fit and placed in their locator blocks.  No marks are required on the capstrips because the jig locator blocks define the exact location.

Hope this clarifies.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal