How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: 1600cc engine on XL  (Read 5764 times)

Offline Mrbill

• Mr. Bill
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 7.0 MS Internet Explorer 7.0
  • Eagle Type: XL - E-47
1600cc engine on XL
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:15:52 AM »
I saw some posts on the 4-cylinder making the XL too heavy, but seeing how long a wait for a 2- cylinder engine to be built by Casler had me wondering.  Assuming someone didn't mind going the LSA way and looking at the max weight of 575#'s, if you added a 4-cylinder, the gas tank (8 gal) was positioned behind the pilot, and the pilot weighed 210 or under, wouldn't that keep the weight or CG from going over? I'm just not seeing the difference if the pilot is of average size.
Thanks,

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.39 Chrome 44.0.2403.39
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
Re: 1600cc engine on XL
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »
I saw some posts on the 4-cylinder making the XL too heavy, but seeing how long a wait for a 2- cylinder engine to be built by Casler had me wondering.  Assuming someone didn't mind going the LSA way and looking at the max weight of 575#'s, if you added a 4-cylinder, the gas tank (8 gal) was positioned behind the pilot, and the pilot weighed 210 or under, wouldn't that keep the weight or CG from going over? I'm just not seeing the difference if the pilot is of average size.
Thanks,
If I were going to do this...  

I'd put Double Eagle wings, tail, and landing gear on it.   Get the DE plans and build it as a single seat.

The 4 cylinder is way too heavy for what you want to do, and keep a good safety margin regarding the wings, landing gear, and tail feathers.  

Best to keep the fuel on the CG so that you don't have a large swing in balance when the fuel burns off, requiring a big trim input.

I uploaded a CG program I wrote in Visual Basic several years ago you could use for what ifs.  It is in the downloads section...

You could disregard the names above the inputs, they only fit the one airplane I made the program for.  

Be sure to include your negative number signs if your input is south of the chosen datum.

Take care to positively lock down that distributor,  bad things happen when the timing changes on you.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Mrbill

• Mr. Bill
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
  • Eagle Type: XL - E-47
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 06:35:36 PM »
Thanks Dan, I'm sure I'll just build with a half vw.  I just wanted to an experts opinion.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.52 Chrome 44.0.2403.52
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 07:24:31 PM »
Thanks Dan, I'm sure I'll just build with a half vw.  I just wanted to an experts opinion.

I'm not what I'd call an expert...  Maybe some more folks will chime in on this.  One of them may be an expert.

Matter of fact,  I don't think the program is working anymore...  I have windows 7 installed and the program loads, but does not give the cg or total weight...   The back ground stays black on those fields.

Visual basic 5 was on my Hard Drive 3 computers ago...  I don't even know if I can locate the disc.

I will get a spread sheet uploaded.

http://www.eaglersnest.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;cat=12

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.52 Chrome 44.0.2403.52
Weight and Balance //was Re: 1600cc engine on XL
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 10:19:01 AM »
The spreadsheet is available live at the bottom of the home page...

http://www,eaglersnest.com/forum/index.php?

This means you should be able to use it on your cell phone...

Edit:  No way to make an input on my cell...  Also not mobile friendly responsiveness.

The spreadsheet is still in the downloads section at the link below:

http://www.eaglersnest.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;cat=12

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal