How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Wing tips: Flat or rounded?  (Read 3878 times)

Offline lazair2

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.99 Chrome 45.0.2454.99
Wing tips: Flat or rounded?
« on: October 06, 2015, 09:41:54 PM »
I'm curious what the opinions are about wing tips? I've attached a couple photos of legal eagles and various tips chosen. I just pulled these from the web, so I'm not sure who's plane is who's. If your plane is shown it's obviously a pretty one ;) 

Anyway, is there a real benefit to rounded tips. Technically it adds wing span, but is there any lift that is actually created? Or are they just extra items that are fragile and could possibly be damaged.

Offline cluttonfred

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85 Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • Clutton FRED
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
Re: Wing tips: Flat or rounded?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:30:44 AM »
For a given span, simple flat wing-tips can actually have less drag then rounded ones as gently rounded shape (as seen from the front) actually encourages the wingtip vortex to wrap around the top of the wing.  Something like a Hoerner tip (as if someone sliced the wing with a knife at a 45-degree angle) does provide slight benefit but I'd be careful about adding much to the wing span.  A few inches here or there is not important, but if you add full semicircular tips (like a Cub) to an existing wing you've just upped the span from 23' 6" to 28" and that's pretty significant in terms of spar loads, strut placement, etc.
Matthew Long, Editor
cluttonfred.info
A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal